Cox vs. FIOS?

humorman

I have seen all the people saying they can't wait to get fios including me. And then a few days ago I noticed someone on here was getting like 10mbs down and about 1 mbs up. And it wasn't fios. So I asked how and they told me it was cox premier service or whatever and when you look at it , it is advertised at 15mbs down and 2 mbs up. Isn't that about the same as FIOS? And cox is in my area. And probably in alot of people area. I have been thinking of getting it. But isn't about the same speed as fios?

I have seen all the people saying they can't wait to get fios including me. And then a few days ago I noticed someone on here was getting like 10mbs down and about 1 mbs up. And it wasn't fios. So I asked how and they told me it was cox premier service or whatever and when you look at it , it is advertised at 15mbs down and 2 mbs up. Isn't that about the same as FIOS? And cox is in my area. And probably in alot of people area. I have been thinking of getting it. But isn't about the same speed as fios?

As far as I know, Cox premier package depends on the region. Certain users in AZ are getting the 9000/1000 package. Users in VA are getting 16000/2000 on Cox which directly competes with FIOS in it's area.

Cable connections, once the infrastructure is in place, can do everything that fiber can and better. Right now, as netmasta pointed out, DOCSIS 2.0 can offer anywhere from 38Mbps - 43Mbps downstream and 10Mbps or better upload. Most networks are still using DOCSIS 1.0 - 1.1.

DOCSIS 3.0 will offer speeds unheard of. Comcast, as I'm sure other cable companies are too, is striving to give users 200Mbps downstream. This is probably a few years away. Their is even talk of skipping DOCSIS 2.0 altogether.

Using standard coax, cable connections won't be able to compete with fiber when it comes to pings being that it's a shared connection, but, if cable companies replace thier lines with fiber (which is what we've come to expect), the sky is the limit.

Cable connections, once the infrastructure is in place, can do everything that fiber can and better. Right now, as netmasta pointed out, DOCSIS 2.0 can offer anywhere from 38Mbps - 43Mbps downstream and 10Mbps or better upload. Most networks are still using DOCSIS 1.0 - 1.1.

But, for how long will they be able to do "better"? Coax (cable) uses radio signals wheras FIOS uses light, which is pretty hard to beat.

this kills me to see the speeds yall are talking about.  i live in GA and Cox only offers up to 5000/768.  i have 4000/512 and at the moment cant keep a steady speed.  my download is all over the place from as low as 500 up to the 4000.  my upload is always near 512 and many times has been higher.

I live in oklahoma city oklahoma and here Cox offers 15mbs down and 2 mbs up. I am think of getting it maybe. That what I was talking about isn't that about the same speed as fios. And after seeing you guys posts I see it is. So I may get it. But for now I am on Sbc dsl.

That sucks. I must have been in the wrong area of there site before. Because I out in my area code and now it is saying top speeds for my area are 5mbs down  :evil1: . Thats sucks. But I do see they offer up to 15mbs in other areas time to move lol. But I found on the cox site that it says were they are comparing dsl dial and cable it says top cable speeds are 9mbs. So how can they offer 15mbs in some areas. Maybe that is just in my area not sure. But it sucks.

Cable connections, once the infrastructure is in place, can do everything that fiber can and better.

How exactly do you figure that copper cables can be "everything that fiber can and better."?  There is a finite amount of bandwidth that you can get out of copper cable regardless of the infrastructure or technology not to mention it's  susceptibility to electromagnetic interference.  Fiber has unlimited bandwidth and no problems with electronic interference.  Cable has very real limits with regard to maintenance, necessity of repeaters, susceptibility of electronic interference, etc, etc.  Fiber as I understand it has far fewer limitations in all of these areas.  So how then can cable be "everything that fiber can and better."?  On top of this cable will NEVER be able to match the ping times of fiber...........light travels faster then electricity.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand how you can justify that statement.

I live in oklahoma city oklahoma and here Cox offers 15mbs down and 2 mbs up. I am think of getting it maybe. That what I was talking about isn't that about the same speed as fios. And after seeing you guys posts I see it is. So I may get it. But for now I am on Sbc dsl.

What does Cox charge for their 15/2 package?

don't wanna start an argument either, but saying that light travels faster then electricity is not right - from what I know they DO travel at same speeds (but it all depends on conditions) ;-), but that is not to be confused with electrons (which are slower) .... when it comes to talking about sending an electrical energy through a coaxial cable - it is going to be slower than the speed of light (in a vacuum!!!) ....if anybody is interested in finding the propagation velocity ill elaborate on that ! :)

Actually your right.  Electricity does travel at the speed of light, however, not through a coax cable.  The copper cable has resistance and thus slows the transfer of electricity, as I understand it.  Light through a fiber optic cable travels as fast as light can travel in our atmosphere which, as you point out, is slower then it would travel in a vacuum.  So, I should have qualified my response.

Coax is a bit slower (~.870 VoP, or ~87% the speed of light) but at most you have a couple thousand (obviously give or take) feet of coax between your home and the node.

And at the node, you are transfered onto a fiber for the rest of the trip.

I get under 10ms pings to the local dns servers.

So, I don't think the actual coax is slowing me down too much.

I just wonder if Verizon Fios has fewer devices between the user and the WWW.

Every device will slow you down.

Coax is a bit slower (~.870 VoP, or ~87% the speed of light) but at most you have a couple thousand (obviously give or take) feet of coax between your home and the node.

And at the node, you are transfered onto a fiber for the rest of the trip.

I get under 10ms pings to the local dns servers.

So, I don't think the actual coax is slowing me down too much.

I just wonder if Verizon Fios has fewer devices between the user and the WWW.

Every device will slow you down.

That's interesting dn0.  So what you're saying is: it doesn't matter at how many times the speed of light your signal is arriving from the node if that node can only handle tasks a certain speed itself, a factor that is compounded with each node present in the series to the signal source.  Thus, I'm sure, ISP's cap their services.  So what, praytell, is preventing FIOS from falling into this trap?  Do they have better/faster nodes somehow, or fewer as dn0 suggests?