Cox vs. FIOS?

humorman

Does it really matter? I could really care less about the carrier technology. Glass, copper, microwave, radio... who gives a damn. As long as it works and is economical is what matters to me.

I agree 100%

I was just throwing out my thoughts-

Coax is a bit slower (~.870 VoP, or ~87% the speed of light) but at most you have a couple thousand (obviously give or take) feet of coax between your home and the node.

And at the node, you are transfered onto a fiber for the rest of the trip.

I get under 10ms pings to the local dns servers.

So, I don't think the actual coax is slowing me down too much.

I just wonder if Verizon Fios has fewer devices between the user and the WWW.

Every device will slow you down.

Well, from what I've read on  FIOS you don't have a modem, just an ONT (the box on the outside of your house.

Does it really matter? I could really care less about the carrier technology. Glass, copper, microwave, radio... who gives a damn. As long as it works and is economical is what matters to me.

If security is a big thing to you, then I'd use fiber. It's much harder to hack than copper or wireless.

I suppose it is a bit tougher to eavesdrop on an optical link, but it ain't easy to eavesdrop on a coaxial link either.

I do have the ability to "listen in" on the cable modems,  but it is all BPI encrypted, so all I see is gibberish.

Part of my job, I have a Sigtek ST-261 Docsis Protocol Analyzer. Link: http://www.sigtek.com/products/st261/ST-261_Detail_Brochure.pdf

They make equivalent machines for fiber optic links, also.

I suppose it is a bit tougher to eavesdrop on an optical link, but it ain't easy to eavesdrop on a coaxial link either.

I do have the ability to "listen in" on the cable modems, but it is all BPI encrypted, so all I see is gibberish.

Part of my job, I have a Sigtek ST-261 Docsis Protocol Analyzer. Link: http://www.sigtek.com/products/st261/ST-261_Detail_Brochure.pdf

They make equivalent machines for fiber optic links, also.

You aren't going to sniff IPSec or SSL traffic with ethereal and that box.

Oh yeah....Well......My dog will kick yer dogs butt!!!

:huh::haha: :haha:

My dog WAS a puss, she bit my kid when he was 1 year old, then :twogun: ---  Not really, I gave her away.

You aren't going to sniff IPSec or SSL traffic with ethereal and that box.

I wasn't trying to suggest that I could or should. I guess my post sounded FAT-headed, didn't mean it that way.

I use it for troubleshooting RF issues, all that I can read that is the non-encrypted Docsis traffic such as Ranging Requests, Ranging Responses and similar traffic outside the actual customers data traffic.

But, I am told that that encrypted traffic that I can see is not hard for big brother to decrypt and this does happen ( "Patriot Act").

• 1 month later...

I live in oklahoma city oklahoma and here Cox offers 15mbs down and 2 mbs up. I am think of getting it maybe. That what I was talking about isn't that about the same speed as fios. And after seeing you guys posts I see it is. So I may get it. But for now I am on Sbc dsl.

Please provide link to this info.  I'm in OKC, and the best I can get from Cox is 5mb premier.  Did something change?