Little help for an inexperienced broadbander?

FlailSpound

Hey I was recently confused by the fact that friends of mine who have the exact same plan, server, host, modem, everything, are downloading 2 or even 3 times faster than I am. We all live around the same area (I live in Brisbane Australia) and I was pretty angry when I discovered this. So eventually I found this site, and thought maybe someone here can help. I checked my download and upload speeds. The upload speed was fine, here's the result:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 123 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 15 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Wed Jul 06 2005 19:27:06 GMT+1000

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 68.27 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 12.84 % faster than the average for host (net.au)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HNMJ84F07

My download speed though was quite dissapointing, about 50% of the host average according to the test:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 643 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 79 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Wed Jul 06 2005 19:28:59 GMT+1000

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB download in 12.96 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 49.84 % of your hosts average (net.au)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W8A9F347J

Now before anybody links me to the stickied topics, I already read through them and I followed as much as I could understand ( I'm not that great when it comes to modems), they mostly seemed to be on about spyware and antivirus stuff, I have most of the progs for that. Just so you all know, I discovered my modem IS plugged in via USB, and I do have an ethernet cable, but I didn't change them because I don't know if that will make me re-install the modem, or what I'm supposed to do. So if anybody can offer me any help, or at least an answer as to why I'm experiencing a lousy download speed, please respond ASAP. Thanks in advance.

FlailSpound: It always helps to post the speed you are paying for.The reason you might be at 50% of your hosts speed is your host has faster connections they sell.So 50% of your hosts speed could be good for your connection.I haven't used a usb to connect a modem everything I read says they slow you down.Ethernet should be better.

Definitely do away with the USB connection....get a 10/100/1000 gig card they are cheap connect a RJ45 high speed cable the size you need, not some god awful long ass cord, I use a cat 6 (3') cable with gold connectors...yes it's overkill, but when your on satellite you do everything to get stable fast speeds.  Connect the other end directly to your modem.

The guy who installed my Dway system couldn't get my old 10/100 card to work so he sold me a usb Ethernet connector (all in one thingy) and it got me on line, but when I changed to a Ethernet card directly, my speeds went up!

Buzz ;)

Hey:

No question,  lose the USB  Get a good nic card.  10/100 should be fine but 10/100/1000 if you want to spring might help you down the road. (It's not that much cost difference.)

I have all 10/100/1000 becuase I have home network so I have a 1000 router.. :)  and all my connections system to system are SUPER fast...

Anyway good luck with it,  get a NIC.

FlailSpound, when you connect via ethernet, you won't have to reinstall the modem.  When you connect via USB, you must install the drivers for the modem.  But if the NIC (network interface card) is installed properly, you just hook up the ethernet cable and go.  The NIC has its own set of drivers that should have already been installed if there is an ethernet port on the tower of your PC.

Ok, an attempt to summarise:

Cholla said it helps to post the speed I'm paying for. I went to Bigponds website, and all their plans say uncapped.

Lantom and Buzz said something about a lot of numbers and NIC. Yeh, I don't understand any of that, some sort of card I've never heard of. However, I already have an ethernet cable, which I got when I bought the PS2 Network pack.

FallowEarth: I don't know if I have a NIC card, but I do have an ethernet port in the tower of my pc.

Can someone tell me more about NIC cards, like general price and how to set them up, because honestly I've never heard of them.

NIC is network interface card... if you have an ethernet port on the back of your pc then try a CAT5e or CAT6 cable (CAT5e and CAT6 are types of ethernet cords) and do away with USB.. you dont really need an additional NIC card if your pc already has one...

Wow check this out, all I've done is plugged it in via the ethernet port, and I ran the download test again

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2060 Kbps about 2.1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 251 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Jul 07 2005 20:47:10 GMT+1000

Bottom Line:: 37X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.08 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 60.19 % faster than the average for host (net.au)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-M6SE8AB2Q

I believe this emoticon does the job better than words: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks everybody for your help!

FlailSpound : First glad to see your speed improved with the ethernet hook up.

I will let someone correct me  but there are caps on your connection if there weren't you would only be limited by your own equipment.