Compaq 5461 PC Help

pitbull481

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pitbull481Try this if you want to .Go back to the A: prompt with floppy windows startup disk in.

At the prompt type" Sys C:" without the quotes.Then go back to the E: prompt & see if the commands  MYRIAGON  is giving you work.

didnt work either

try rebooting with nothing in the flopy or cdrom drive .Do you get a no OS screen?

One more thing  pitbull481  did you set the PC you  are putting the 98 into to boot from the CDROM in the BIOS instead of booting from the hard drive?

I have about the same specs (upgrade RAM to 384 max) and I am running XP fine, should have PM'd me...oh well, have fun with 98  :haha:

i just went to SYSTEM PROPERTIES.Only has 56MB RAM. This computer wont handle XP. I already tried it. It's too slow. LAter once I buy more RAM and a 40GIG HD i might install XP :tongue:

pitbull481  or MYRIAGON: I just wanted to know was the NTFS put in the hard drive by installing XP over the 98 that was on the HD?Or did you format the HD first?

If that hadn't been done would it have had the FAT32 for the 98?

Did the  HD only have 1 partition to start with?

MYRIAGON : In doing some web surfing I ran across this.What do you think about it? :

http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=1904

"From what I remember from older OS's. You are unable to read from 2 different partitions if they are different formats ( Fat32 and NTFS), well today I partitioned my laptop's 40GB HD. The main partition has Windows XP Professional on it and is a Fat32 drive. I created a new partition around 9gigs and it wouldn't let me format it to a FAT32 drive when I was in Windows. So I was like what the hell, lets make it a NTFS drive and apply the reg tweak that is here in the site somewhere tol make it where I can read both drives from within Windows.

To my astoundment, Windows XP is able to read b/t the two different partitions with one being FAT32 and the other NTFS. What is the highest Microsoft OS that can do this ? Or just I just stumble onto a fluke occurance ??"

MYRIAGON : In doing some web surfing I ran across this.What do you think about it? :

http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=1904

"From what I remember from older OS's. You are unable to read from 2 different partitions if they are different formats ( Fat32 and NTFS), well today I partitioned my laptop's 40GB HD. The main partition has Windows XP Professional on it and is a Fat32 drive. I created a new partition around 9gigs and it wouldn't let me format it to a FAT32 drive when I was in Windows. So I was like what the hell, lets make it a NTFS drive and apply the reg tweak that is here in the site somewhere tol make it where I can read both drives from within Windows.

To my astoundment, Windows XP is able to read b/t the two different partitions with one being FAT32 and the other NTFS. What is the highest Microsoft OS that can do this ? Or just I just stumble onto a fluke occurance ??"

Hi CHOLLA.......

The part I can't understand is why they couldn't make the second partition FAT32.

I used to run XP PRO with FAT32 all the time, and would usually have 4 partitions, and I could format those any time I wanted to FAT32 or NTFS, I used to run it FAT32 because that way I could use the win98 boot disk and run XP setup without the CD.

As far as reading NTFS and FAT32 that's not a fluke it's just what XP does.

But win98 can only run on and read FAT16 and FAT32.

Believe me I'm no expert, just saying what has worked for me. :)

If anyone can add to this, please do cuz I still learn something new every day

These are the minimum requirements for basic functionality. Actual requirements vary, depending on the system configuration and the programs and features that you choose to install. If you are installing Windows XP over a network, you may need additional available hard-disk space.

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:

• 3 weeks later...

what firewall and anti-virus is good for this PC:

Compaq Presario 5461 (1999)

Windows 98 SE

AMD-K6 3D Processor

56MB RAM

And also I bought a Linksys Network Adapter ( http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=284928&pfp=BROWSE )

and installed in on my Gateway computer. Can I take out the factory NIC and installed on my other computer (compaq)?

I am not sure which firewall runs on the lowest amount of ram at this time.  However, you should be able to take the NIC out of the other computer with little or no problem.  just makes sure you look at the card and get the model number and manufacture so that you can get the driver for the 98se machine.

• 2 months later...

pitbull481: That depends on the drivers you need.Some drivers its best to get at their home site like a video card driver.You can try this site you have to do the free registration if you haven't already.

http://driverguide.com/

If you have Everest or a simular program it has links to sites  on several devices

thanx Cholla :D