upstream power level on modem

Gib4500

Is it hot where you are right now? I've heard heat can make your levels rise. I think it has something to do with the metal expanding.

If it's not already, try to keep your modem out of direct sunlight. When I moved mine to a darker spot (benhind my desk), my levels went from 51dB to about 48dB or so. It's not much, but it'll help the modem last longer.

That sounds very high. What brand/modem do you have? I ask because dB levels vary by brand and sometimes model. You can usually check the modem maker's site, to see what your levels should be.

You don't have the air conditioner pointed directly at it right?

yes it is hot out where i am.  i lost connection again today.  it seems the upstream really spikes up when it gets hot out.  so much that it knocks my modem offline.  i did notice the highest my modem connects at for upstream is 55.  i thought the modems were able to connect up to 58?  it' s back on now because the sun is going down.  i suppose i will have to call tech support again.  i called them today but they said there was a major outage in southern ohio, wv, and kentucky.  there has to be a way they can fix this.  would it possibly be a bad drop or something like that.