Comcast to offer faster Internet service **(6Mb-8MB)**

Comcast to offer faster Internet service

Comcast to offer faster Internet service

Comcast plans to increase the speed of its residential high-speed Internet service as much as 100 percent.

The nation's largest cable operator will begin offering residential customers two new faster download speeds -- 6 megabits per second and 8 megabits per second -- this summer.

A user with an 8 Mbps connection -- double Comcast's current speed -- could download a four- megabyte file, a typical size for a music file, in four seconds.

The new speeds will take effect as early as July 20 for customers in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, New Jersey and Washington, D.C. For most of its other markets, the accelerated speeds will be available by the end of summer. The Philadelphia-based company serves 7.4 million high-speed Internet customers in 35 states and the District of Columbia.

Comcast subscribers automatically will be upgraded to 6 Mbps for free, as long as they also are cable customers. Those who want to get the fastest connection will have to pay $10 more a month.

For customers who subscribe to high-speed Internet service, but not cable TV, Comcast will charge $10 more per month for the 6 Mbps service and $20 more per month for the 8 Mbps service. Customers can stay at the current speed if they wish, the company said.

Sort of a crappy upgrade...So, I, who already pay for the 6 down, will automatically get the 8 down, yes?

Yes. 4Mb goes to 6Mb

&

6Mb goes to 8Mb

As for it being crappy, they probably weren't planing on another upgrade so soon after the other one.

Thats stupid, why do they charage EXTRA money to have Cable internet without the TV?

Big buisness, of course. At least they didn't increase the prices along with the upgrade. Yes DSL providers also charge extra if you buy 'net but not phone.

Good ol Comcast.

I think they need to get what they have working first.LOL!

I was lucky today, just about every town around me has this that started yesterday.

Michigan

General Outage

(Detroit, Michigan/SouthGate/Hillsdale/Rockwood/Melvindale/Garden City/Taylor /Warren 4/Warren 3/RDC-Warren 1 & 2*/Sterling 4/Sterling 3/Sterling 1 & 2/Shelby 3 & 4/Shelby 1 & 2/Macomb 1, 2, 3, & 4/Fraser/Clinton1/Clinton 3 & 4/Clinton 2/Waterford/Pontiac/Grosse Pointe 1/Grosse Pointe 2 & 3/East Pointe/Mt. Morris/Flushing/Flint/State Fair/Southwest/Lafayette/Fenkell/Detroit City/Chandler Park/Central/Airport/Rochester Hills/Auburn Hills/Woodhaven/Walled Lake/Royal Oak/Port Huron Hub/St. Clair Co. OTN/St. Clair /New Haven/Romeo Hub/Westland/Wayne/Van Buren/PLY/Northville/Dearborn Hgts/Dearborn/Canton/West Bloomfield/Southfield/Roseville/Madison Heights/Birmingham/YP West/YP East/Brighton/AnnArborW/AnnArborN/AnnArbor S/Monroe/Springfield/Michigan B/Macomb OTN/St. Clair Shores OTN/Bad Axe OTN/Northville/Jackson/East Lansing/Adrian/New Lafayette /MI OTN/Michigan A/Manitowoc/WI OTN/Richland/Muskegon/Grand Rapids/Battle Creek - Connection to the Internet is currently unavailable. Our technicians are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue. This outage was logged at : 7/11/2005 9:48:00 PM EDT.)

:haha: :haha:

Good info.

But I wish Comcast would listen to the customer.

I am currently @ 6/768 and by the looks of it I would be @ 8/768.

I would gladly stay @ 6Mbps and have 1.5 to 2Mbps Upstream to go with it, but they just hate getting off from that upstream bandwidth  :confused1:

Guest Kilroy44

Out of curiosity and some confusion i subsribe to the 6mbs/768 package But i donnot subscribe to cable tv or phone services what package will i be upgraded to; the 8mbs or am i going to be downgraded to the 6mbs/384?

Out of curiosity and some confusion i subsribe to the 6mbs/768 package But i donnot subscribe to cable tv or phone services what package will i be upgraded to; the 8mbs or am i going to be downgraded to the 6mbs/384?

If you don't say anything to them about it, you will stay at the current speed. No changes will be made to your account. Comcast will grandfather you in. If you move or make any changes to your account, you will no longer be able to get 6000/768 again...ever.

Being that you don't subscribe to phone or cable tv, and you request an upgrade to 8000/768, you will have to pay $77.95. If you upgrade and decide that you don't want the 8000/768 anymore, you will not go back to 6000/768. You will go to the 6000/384.

Reason being is that the current config file will remain if effect and stay in Comcast's system database as long as you don't change your service. If the account is changed and a new config file applied, the 6000/768 config file will not be restorable being that it will no longer be offered as a package. The only config files that will be available will be 4000/384, 6000/394, and 8000/768.

Hope that helped.

I would think that it would work like the last upgrade.

I was at 4/384 and I knew the upgrade was coming, so every morning for about a month I would run a speed test and then I would reboot the modem and PC and run another speed test, and finally by just rebooting the modem it changed to the 6/768.

So I figured they just did a general upgrade to all the modems at once in my area and a reboot of the modem finalized it.

I would think that it would work like the last upgrade.

I was at 4/384 and I knew the upgrade was coming, so every morning for about a month I would run a speed test and then I would reboot the modem and PC and run another speed test, and finally by just rebooting the modem it changed to the 6/768.

So I figured they just did a general upgrade to all the modems at once in my area and a reboot of the modem finalized it.

I thought the same thing. Admins are saying different though.

Guest Kilroy44

Well it looks like I better keep my mouth shut and live with my current connection. Dont really have the urge to pay $10 more a month for a xtra 2 mbs download.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else see's this the way I do , but people on the 6/768 pkg. are really getting screwed.

If you think about it, people on the 4/384 pkg. are getting a 50% increase in there download and people on the 6/768 pkg. are only getting a 33% increase on download.

So we at 6/768 should have gone to 9/768 or 8Mbps/1Mbps

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but oh well....Subscribers Revolt....LOL.

I posted this on Comcast forum also.

OK so I'm bored........ ;)