D-Link DI-524 new firmware 1.11

Hello, I just flashed my DI-524 router with the latest firmware and now whenever I turn on MAC address filtering, the router doesn't detect my wireless MAC address. Does anyone else with the same router experiencing the same problem? Please let me know if anyone has figured out a way around this. I also have WEP turned on and would like the added security of MAC filtering. Thank you to anyone who could help me with this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

i am experiencing a smiliar problem.

I am using Wpa-psk, TKIP on all devices except di-524. on 524 WPA-PSK only; TKIP seems not an option.

When MAC filtering is turned on and :

1) running fw 1.05:

my ipaq wifi cannot stay connected properly(sluggish, disconnection, cannot renew ip, etc). However,  both wifi and lan connections on my notebook (winxp) seem to connect very well thou.

2) running fw 1.11:

my ipaq wifi can stay connect indefinitely. however my notebook wifi cannot even est connection. only the notebook wired connection works.

needless to say. if MAC filter is turned off then all connections including,  notebook wifi, ipaq wifi and  notebook lan, workl fine(so far!)

It looks like there are two versions of that router.  If you go to THIS site, you'll see what I mean.  Make sure you have got the support for the correct version.  Once you select your correct version, you can try the firmware download there.  I would also try the link to email tech support, try to summarize throroughly.

I will play with it tonight and let you know.. you did flash the router using an ethernet connection right?

Alright.. it seems that it is hit or miss for MAC filtering.  Some seem to allow MAC no matter what, some only if encription is on and other not at all.  I will still play and see if i cant get something to work.  In the mean time you might want to reset the router. using the little reset button in the back and reflash using an ethernet connection. 

Hey guys, thanks for the replys, but unfortunately, I've tried everything you've suggested and made sure that 1) I have the right version of the router and firmware 2) I've reset the router and even power cycled 3) I've flashed the router directly connected 4) Tried turning MAC filter on with and without WEP 5) Even contacted their tech support, and the best they could tell me is that they don't support MAC filtering or whatever that means

I had the same problem with mac address filter on the 524. I have a Dell PC and imac on wire and a Dell 600m and an ibook wireless. The wired machines work fine filtered but when I add either laptop to the mac address allow list everything but one wired desktop is locked out.

Dlink support acts like they have never heard  of this before so I jumped  through the normal hoops trying to get it to  work only to find out from a friend with the same unit that I am not alone. Mac address filter does  not  work on the 524 with fw 1.05 or 1.11.

Swimmer: I have A1

uneasyrider: I agree, D-Link support is terrible. They didn't know what to do with my question, so they just told me that they don't solve MAC filtering problems, because it's not supported. I just laughed.. how can D-Link tech support say that a feature that's built in their product is not supported or even on their knowledge base.

It seems that a lot of people are having this problem too. Shame since firmware 1.11 is stable connection wise. I hope they come out with another version, but to think of how long it took them to even come up with 1.11.. we'll probably never see it.

I emailed Dlink and mentioned this thread and my problem with the mac filter and I got a response with a phone number. Called this guy up and he told me that mac filtering does not work on hardware version A1 but has been corrected on hardware versions B and C and now works. It was great to get a phone number and to hear someone say "we screwed up we will send you one that works", and to  know that it wasn't me. So if you have hardware version A, don't expect it to mac filter.

I'll  go back to lurking now but I am sure glad this board is here.

So they are offering to send you a new one so that MAC filtering works? 

Thanks for that great info.. it is not very often that a manufacturer will replace something they that screwed up.. so if this is true you are the man!

You should post more often!

I emailed Dlink and mentioned this thread and my problem with the mac filter and I got a response with a phone number. Called this guy up and he told me that mac filtering does not work on hardware version A1 but has been corrected on hardware versions B and C and now works. It was great to get a phone number and to hear someone say "we screwed up we will send you one that works", and to  know that it wasn't me. So if you have hardware version A, don't expect it to mac filter.

I'll  go back to lurking now but I am sure glad this board is here.

No kidding! Would you please give the rest of us that # D-Link gave you? If this is true.. I take back every bad words I've said about that company.

What I did was to email them in regard to my mac address filter questions for which I had a tech support case number. Then I got an email the next day from a guy who left me his phone number and said call him or email him. I was off of the phone in 5 minutes, off of the support site in 10. If it is still new enough to return to the store the web site recomends it so the stores must have B and C hardware, but I would check.

I don't know about splattering this guys phone number all over the web but if you pm me I will hook you up. Bob

What I understand is that if you contact tech support and you have teh Di524 with hardware version A1 you can get them to exchange the hard ware.  I guess there is a problem with the MAC address filtering system on this version of the hardware.  And with 1.11 I know that I can not use the router at all for some reason.  I am going to give dlink a call tonight and see what happens with my router..

The DI524 has a 3 year warranty and they know that it does not work in hardware version A. I think that I got lucky in that I mentioned that it was a thread on more than one computer forum, anyway they stepped right up. I was in a Circuit City today and they had stacks of them and they were all hardware version C. If you are within the normal return period you can just bring it back  to  the store  and swap  it as defective and get a B or C. I called them and they gave me an RMA number and a website  address. I  went to the website and filled in all of the blanks and chose the option to credit my visa card if  I did not send the defective unit back within 30 days. That way I wont  be without one. Pretty good system. I hope that it  all works out.

• 1 month later...

I'm Having a problem with the same router. alto i'm runnig it on XP. it doen'st let me type 192.168.0.1 and go to the settup. i even went to the cite and downloaded the firmwire files and it keeps giving me that "Cannot Find Server" page. i tried going into setup programming of it, but i connot delete my old LNA or put in my new one. the old lynksis network won't go away and the D-Link won't Show up. HELP ME!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!???