Guest Hyperspace

Guest Hyperspace

Do you mean internet connection speeds or CPU speeds? I'm guessing by your answer net connection speeds.

Yes, connection speeds. Sorry I was not clearer.

isnt 100Gbps in Hong Kong already for only 200/month USD. Only reason I say only is that verizon FiOS 30/5 package is 200 a month.

I don't remember what the speed was. Are there even any nics built for that kind of speed? I know there are 10/100/1000 adapters.

I Googled this........Interesting although a little outdated.

September 2, 2004

Scientists Set Internet2 Speed Record

By Susan Kuchinskas

Scientists at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) set a new land-speed record for Internet2, a second-generation network serving universities and research institutes.

The team, which included folks from AMD (Quote, Chart), Cisco (Quote, Chart), Microsoft Research, Newisys, and S2io, transferred 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes. It did so at a rate of 6.63 gigabits per second (define) between the CERN facility in Geneva, Switzerland, and Caltech in Pasadena, Calif., a distance of more than 15,766 kilometers, or approximately 9,800 miles.

Scientists are racing to move gigantic amounts of data by 2007, when CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will switch on. This huge underground particle accelerator will produce some 15 petabytes (define) of data a year, which will be stored and analyzed on a global grid of computer centers.

High-energy physicists are excited about the LHC because they hope it will allow them to find the Higgs boson, a theoretical particle that they believe creates mass.

"Physicists are trying to fill in the blank spaces in our model of high energy physics," said Jim Gray a Microsoft Research engineer who helped set Wednesday's record.

But this $10 billion collider will be of little use if scientists around the world can't access the data.

Researchers aren't the only ones excited about blazing data speeds. This record speed of 6.63Gbps is equivalent to transferring a full-length DVD movie in four seconds. There are uses in astronomy, bioinformatics, global climate modeling and seismology, as well as commercial applications from entertainment to oil and gas exploration.

Internet2 is fast -- Abilene, a U.S. cross-country backbone network, blasts data at 10Gbps. But transoceanic networking is another story. There are hardware and software issues to overcome, Gray said.

For example, one limiting factor is that the fastest available interface for PCs is the PCIX64 Bus Isolation Extender, which can only handle 7.5Gbps.

The land-speed test is part of an ongoing R&D program to create high-speed global networks as the foundation of next-generation, data-intensive grids with a goal of transferring data at 1Gbps.

The performance also is the first record to break the 100-petabit meter per second mark. One petabit is 1,000,000,000,000,000 bits (define). That may seem like an almost inconceivably large number, but Gray said storing petabits of data is a fact of life for many large corporations. He said Microsoft has about 5 petabits of data, and he estimates Google and Yahoo store that much, as well.

"If you have a million customers and they each have a gigabyte of storage, that's a petabit," he said.

The technology used in setting this record included S2io's Xframe 10 GbE server adapter, Cisco 7600 Series Routers, Newisys 4300 servers using AMD Opteron processors, Itanium servers and the 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003.

We'll also be telling our kids: "Well in my day, we used a phone line to connect to the internet at 1000x slower than you, and we payed for it by the hour."

"(then to self later):Damn kids today, they don't respect older technology." :haha:

I hear ya.

And at my age I find myself sounding more like my dad every day, Something like "when I was your age I had to walk 10 miles uphill in the snow to get to school"

..............What a bummer.    :(

isnt 100Gbps in Hong Kong already for only 200/month USD. Only reason I say only is that verizon FiOS 30/5 package is 200 a month.

Thers no 100GBPS connection avaiable in hong kong. They most likely don't even have 20gbps going to the entire city. Las Vegas NV, only has 1.3GBPS serving the entire city. and over 900,000 people are with in the city limits at one time.

and my guess is we will have 1-2GBPS internet connection for most people.

Actually, as cool as Internet2 looks, we'll never see it in effect for the general public. After the first Internet became saturated with websites and commercialization and everything, the people who had originally had their eyes set on using the Internet (colleges and researchers and such) started developing Internet2. It's got blazing fast speeds, and you'll never have anything as good as that until Internet3 (hopefully it'll be Internet3-D ;)) is developed because it's going to be used for colleges and researchers and such, exclusively. However, all hope is not lost for us, because I listened to some interview online about a month back from one of the people involved with Internet2, who said that while Internet2 will not be released for the public, some of the techology powering it will eventually be implemented into our current Internet.

Lol, I finally feel smart here. :D