Shuttle Discovery set for return to Space.

Dark_Matter

At 3:51 PM EST the space shuttle Discovery will launch into space once again. THis will be the first launch of a space shuttle in the US since Feb of 2003 when the Columbia space shuttle blew up on re entry. My prayers go out to the Astonauts in todays launch may everything be successful.

Anyone else haveing any thoughts about todays launch?

At 3:51 PM EST the space shuttle Discovery will launch into space once again. THis will be the first launch of a space shuttle in the US since Feb of 2003 when the Columbia space shuttle blew up on re entry. My prayers go out to the Astonauts in todays launch may everything be successful.

Anyone else haveing any thoughts about todays launch?  :)

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best. If NASA looses another orbiter I'm afraid it would severely curtail if not end the US space program. With only 5 years and another 20 missions left in this design before a replacement is in place. Another disaster would immediately bring calls to pull funding out from under a new vehicle.  :cry: God speed to all aboard  and NASA.

I think it's great.  I always thought space exploration was one of the most amazing programs....so ambitious and fearless.  There are going to be some accidents and losses, that's the unfortunate truth of anything of a bold nature.  But it is such a keystone in America's identity, it would be such a shame if the program was abandoned.  Obviously people fear for the safety of those brave astronauts, but those aboard a space shuttle know the risks involved....they also know the glory.  I would give almost anything to see the earth from orbit, it almost makes me shudder with awe just thinking about it.  But most importantly, I think, space exploration is different and virtuous because it isn't a national thing, it is a global thing.  It gives us a chance to realize, when we look at the stars,  that we're really very small.  It gives us a chance to put our sh on pause and all look up in the same sky, and wonder what the hell is out there.  'Tis a beautiful thing.