Got new modem, but did not work with comcast!

ojo80

Hello to all, finally got around to registering and glad to be part of these forums, you guys have a great amount of knowledge.

I have the 6/768 package with comcast in Miami, FL and I bought a webstar DPC2100 because I read that it was a great modem. I called comcast yesterday and I tried to register the modem and they told me their systems were down, so finally their systems are back up today to register the modem and I was able to register. The top speed that I was able to get from the modem was the 4/384 package that they offer, then I told the guy to put me back on the Motorola SB5120 and the speeds went back up to the 6/768 package. If any one in here has had this problem please post your suggestions, thank you.  :D

Well from what I've heard about the SB5120 is that it'll sometimes get packetloss.. cause i was also going to upgrade my SB5100 for the 5120. but i decided not to. and i have the same 6/768 connection.. and i am usually receiving 7.1/700 and up..

SB5100 and my Linksys EtherFast BEFSR41.

Ty for the welcome netmasta

1. I had the modem connected for like a total of 4 mins, lol, I didnt think it needed that much time to register because the motorola registered right when the tech did something on his end, the modem reset and then i was at the 6/768 package, because initially they had me on the 4/384, the tech that brought me the modem called and they did the modem reset and i was running at the 6 meg package. The tech i spoke with over the phone said that he saw me running at the 4 megs?!?!?!?! He asked, is there a reason why you want to get rid of the motorola, I said to get rid of the rental fee, but if its not going to give me the speed I am paying for, I'll just stick with the rental fee.

(During the time that the webstar DPC2100 was connected, I was able to check speeds and visit websites and stuff like that, so I dont know whats up)

2. I am connected using the ethernet to a linksys router.

No, sorry for the misunderstanding, I had the motorola sb5120 which at the moment is giving me the 6 meg service, I bought a new modem to try to get rid of the rental fee (bought the DPC2100 from scientific atlanta). I called for them to register my new modem, they were able to register it but I was only getting the 4 meg service on that modem. The tech told me that it was a problem with my line, so I then told him to register my Motorola sb 5120 once again to see if the line was the problem, once we registered the motorola the speed was back up to the 6 meg connection. So I dont know whats up with the DPC2100, its not giving me the speed the motorola is giving me :(.

If the other modem (motorola) is getting 6Mb, then I wouldn't think there is a problem on your line. Something could be wrong with the modem (Webstar). You can usually exchange it within 30 days at where you bought it.

True, so return it and exchange it for a different one. The Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem probably came affected. :)

when you get a new modem and call your ISP to register it,  it DOES take maybe a day or 2 to get your speed normal speeds. like with me, i had a linksys modem. started to f*ck up so i went to buy a new one (motorola). called Comcast to register modem. did speed test that night and the next day was averaging half of what i am suppose to get. on the following day my speeds were back to normal

Ty dlewis for the welcome

I spent an hour with these guys yesterday, no one of them could figure out what to do, finally I talked to a lady who transfered me to provisioning, I spent like 30 mins with them and they finally said that the modem was able to take the file required for the speed, finally got back online, started surfing and it looked slow, so i went to check the speed and it was clocking at 1Mbps/768kpbs, she said they were able to see the correct speed on it this time, but the modem wasnt picking up the 6 megs, so i just put back my motorola and it worked fine with it. I called scientific atlanta and they told me that it couldnt be the modem because if it was the modem, I wouldnt be able to get online, so I will call them again to see if I can get an exchange.