Just Ordered RoadRunner!!! Got A Question Though...

Ok, I just ordered RR...I live in a small town (but in the country) they will be here july 23!! Will my internet run slow or what?? I mean since I live in the stix will it run slow?? and can someone tell me how to tweak it faster for when I get it so I can go faster?? THANK YOU SO MUCH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally the less people around you, the better. When you have cable internet its shared amongst your neighbors. Therefore if all of your neighbors are downloading a large file then it is possible for the whole network to get a little bogged down. Just because you live out in the country shouldn't mean your Road Runner will be any slower than anybody elses. As for tweaking I believe FallowEarth covered that nicely.

Best Wishes

You should get speeds pretty close to your cap (5Mbs/384kbs) after tweaking.  If you're shooting at least 90% of your cap then all is well. Sometimes no tweaking is needed to get acceptable speeds, it really just depends on your computer. If you do a download test and your getting below 4.5Mbs then some tweaking will probably do some help.

Yeah, I know I don't think I can patiently wait until the 23rd lol! I'm gonna keep calling TWC to see if they end up getting an opening in earlier!! I don't really feel like going through the struggle of tweaking it so I hope it goes fast with just regular installation!! andI wanna hook it up to my PS2 in my room...But I think it is going to cost extra...

Be sure to ask for a newer modem too: Motorola SB5100, Toshiba PCX2600, RCA DCM425.  These ones are the most dependable, they'll last you.

There's also the option to go wireless through TWC, if you're into that.  If you don't have a router, you can also lease one through TWC, that way it's a one stop fix for all.

There's also free security programs (EZ Armor: firewall, antivirus, anti spam, and spyware protection) so you might as well get those too.  You get troubleshooting for them through RR too.

Nope, I don't have a router...How long do you think it'll take for (me) to download a 6mb file about when i get my basic service??

Within a few minutes generally.

Ok, so should I call them in advance to ask them for one of those modems?? Or wait til' they get here and tell them I want one of those??

I'd call ahead to be sure.