Can anyone help? Recycler virus???

karenlynn40

I ended up here by doing a web search today after a virus scan showed up a virus in a Recycler file. I can't find it to even get rid of it. I am frustrated and don't know what to do. The full name of the place of the virus is this-  C:RECYCLERS-1-5-21-2888137882-3485517607-2614902147-1005Dn76.tmp  I would appreciate any help..I am not very computer savvy. Karen :?

The virus scan was unable to delete it? If so boot into safe mode (F8 before you get to windows screen, if you watch you will see when to hit it). Scan and in safe mode it should be able to stomp the little critter, if not post back and we will figure out something else :)

If you don't have a virus scanner on your computer and you boot in to safe mode you won't be able to access the internet because all drivers are disabled so if thats the case you will have to either download a free anti virus or scan again online. You can try this online scan, it is usually able to delete the virus.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Or download free AV program from http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html and than do the  scan in safe mode :)

If you boot into it with networking enabled, at least for me. Otherwise i have never been able to get online. Guess i should have included that.

You can get on the net in normal safe mode php?

If you boot into it with networking enabled, at least for me. Otherwise i have never been able to get online. Guess i should have included that.

You can get on the net in normal safe mode php?

Never tried... I only use safe mode with networking... I tried safe mode with command prompt once to see what it was like... I assumed you meant it wasn't possible to get on the internet in any safe mode...

Well every here has the right idea with advice and in any case if no luck yet try this...

Boot into Safe Mode as said then turn off System Restore (on all Drives) before next step.

Most likely your not really infected. The virus is still on your system but it's dormant. Goto My Computer-->Control Panel--->Folder Options-->View (Tab on top)-->then you'll see Advanced settings in middle of box now scroll down to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)-->now uncheck box-->click OK to close and save settings. Now simply go to path and delete file manually from where you said it was in RecyclerS-whatever numbers

. If it deletes then it is permanently gone now Reboot and go Turn On System Restore again on all drives and recheck the box in Folder Options to hide operating system files if u you like. And rescan machine with a real Anti-Virus or on-line one if you wish.  I reccomend Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro whether it's a trial or full version. But if what I said don't work then you are infected and the virus is locked in memory and probably would come back anyway from an auto-start method on registry or win.ini or elsewhere. But in any case don't panic yet and reformat because this can be fixed.  But please report back if you had any luck with this or other suggested methods before you do anything drastic.  Like I said chances are you are not infected if it's in Recycling Bin ...  C:Recycler... (folder)  unless this is it's mode of hiding by design which is possible as I have seen that too but it is not probable/likely for most viruses or worms.  Btw what is the name of the virus that PitStop told you it was.  This would help us or me help you alot more easily to clean it manually since I clean systems all the time believe me it seems to you worse than it really is so relax.  Email me if you still need help if you want.  :) Good luck.

Peace,

Azag

Guest helloimtim

The virus scan was unable to delete it? If so boot into safe mode (F8 before you get to windows screen, if you watch you will see when to hit it). Scan and in safe mode it should be able to stomp the little critter, if not post back and we will figure out something else :)

Honest lorne I swear I am NOT trying to be a smarty pants and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way. I only say this because I have seen others give the same advice and people have a hard time getting into safe mode. When you boot into safe mode as soon as your computer starts "Hit and Hold" the F8 button. I realize it sounds like I am being pety and a smarty pants. Swear not my intention. I have seen people have a hard time getting into safe mode thinking they have to hit the f8 button and the right time. Simply hit and hold does it every time. Hope that makes sense.........

Its all good, i am posting the way i do things, if i hit F8  when it posts it won't boot into safe mode, anytime after that its good though yah. I think i was trying to oversimplify things..i do that sometimes and make harder than it is. My GF syays that to me all the time :lol:

With Windows  ME the best way I found to go to safe mode was to hold the Ctrl key down.But I made some entries in msdos specifically  to  the C:>edit msdos.sys here I added  Logo=0 &

BootMenu=8  .Now I get a black dos type screen at startup with a boot menu  I can select safe mode or normal There are a couple of other safe mode options also.Windows ME doesn't have the

safe mode with networking option.If anyone knows how to add this to ME they can post it.

I know this didn't do anything to awnser the topic question but I don't think I could have added anything not already said.