Squeezing out last speed.

eatdirt40

I have sbc/yahoo dsl with the 1500/384 package. I have a 2wire modem/router, which lets a computer get wireless in the other room. I had it originally hooked up with usb connecter (didnt have lan card at the time). With the usb it was tested at round 990 down. I went out and bought a lan card and used the company lan cord they supplied me with. My speed then was up at 1250 down. From just using lan instead of usb. I have been trying different tweaks on speedguide optimizer, then later onto cablenut settings.And the best ive been able to come up with is 1300 down. (currently using van buren settings). I was wondering what else i could do to get to the 1500. Would a new higher quality lan cord help? Any other finetuning settings i could try? At this point any tidbit of speed would help. Any suggestions i will try.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1301 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 159 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Jul 16 18:36:09 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 23X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.44 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 0.54 % faster than the average for host (snet.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OU3AJW4Q1

Analyzer test results

TCP options string = 020405ac01010402

MTU = 1492

MTU is optimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1452

MSS is optimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for maximum throughput.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 63888

RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits

Unscaled Receive Window = 63888

RWIN is a multiple of MSS

Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2) 

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2555.52 kbps (319.44 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1022.208 kbps (127.776 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 52 hops

TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 01011100 (92)

Precedence (priority) = 010 (immediate)

Delay = 1 (low delay)

Throughput = 1 (high throughput)

Reliability = 1 (high reliability)

Cost = 0 (normal cost)

Check bit = 0 (correct, 8th checking bit must be zero)

DiffServ (RFC 2474) = No valid DiffServ equivalent. See RFCs 2474, 2475, 2597, 2598, 2873.

welcome to the forum eatdirt40

A top $$$ ethernet cable may help you out with a little bit of speed, but probably won't push you up all the way to 1.5 Mbps.  It's important to remember that certain software on your computer will affect your speed.  Firewalls, antivirus real-time protection, instant messengers, p2p or filesharing programs, other downloads, basically anything that connects to the Internet.  If you want max connection speed, disable these programs and simplify your connection.  Obv. running without a firewall, etc. reduces your security, but for the purposes of testing you may be curious enough to try it to see results.  Also, be sure to clear your browser.  Check out the links in my sig for further info.

yep. they're exactly the same cable.

oh, and yeah, unless your pc REALLY likes USB, your gonna have slowdown problems. I had a ethernet 2 usb converter going from my modem (cable) into my pc (as usb, of course). I was getting about 2.0 or less on a 3.0mbps plan. I called up charter, and when I told the guy that I had that stupid thing in there, he was dumbstruck!  ;) "TAKE THAT THING OUT!" is pretty much how he put it.

So, I did, and instantly, (with a little help from VB  :cool: ), I had my 2.9-3.0 mbps connection back. go for ethernet, if at all possible.

If your computer doesn't have an ethernet port in the back (I'm SURE it does though...), go to like Best Buy and get a PCI card for $20 and install it. Get rid of any usb that's between your modem and your computer. that's my suggestion anyway.

hope that helps (someone  ;) )

indestructable

:-P

yeah they are the same thing but i found out today at walmart there are three different grades of ethernet cables though....they are 5,  5e and 6, basicly they are good, better and best in plain words but the higher the grade the more data the cable will carry also the higher grade cable will produce faster speeds....if u dont know the grade of your cable and u want to improve your speed a trip to wally world will set u back $7-10 for a new cable