need some help with my soundcard

Cobra

Okay, I've got an old Soundblaster Live! Value and late last year, it stopped working, so a couple months ago I tried to reinstall the soundcard and then it started working again.

Today, though, it was thundering out and I had the computer on, defragmenting, and didn't want to interrupt it just because of the thunder. Then, all of a sudden, the power surged and everything quickly turned off then back on. I logged back on and now I've got no sound. I've already tried reinstalling it, but it didn't work and now I'm out of ideas.

(Btw, this is kinda random, but do you guys know how to turn off Cleartype? I turned it on and everything's a bit smoother, but some stuff is kind of blurry, so I'd rather have it off.)

Okay, wow, this is a lot better now that I'm using standard; before I was using none, and that was okay, but I wanted it smoother, so I switched to ClearType, but that was too blurry, so Standard is the perfect compromise. :D

Yea, I figure that too, but I can't find many soundcards that are good yet cheap. I don't want a super-great, top-of-the-line soundcard, but that seems to be all anyone makes these days. I've got two speakers connected to a 4+ year old computer; I don't need anything fancy...

I'm not going to give up on it yet, though, since the last time it did this I had almost given up on it when it started working again. I just don't want to go back to having no sound again... That was horrible... :(

One of many problemmos with the "LIVE" series cards has been IRQ assignment; i believe it defaults to IRQ 10 which is often already taken by a video card or other unfriendly hardware.

2 recommendations:

1- install just the driver from the cd, & trash the rest of the BS on it.

-or-

2- try using this driver from kX/LugoSoft, designed solely for the Soundblaster Live! products & their driver issues.

http://download.kxproject.lugosoft.com/?file=kxdrv3537-full.exe

-JxL  ;)

meh, that driver didnt work, so i tried using the device manager to remove the SB Live! altogether, then reinstall it, but that didn't work either... i might try taking the soundcard out of the computer, then putting it back in and see if XP will try to recognize it or something... sigh...

mine was about that, and it was fine for the first 2 and a half years or so. then, this kinda stuff started happening every once in awhile, each time being harder and harder to fix. :(

ill try that soon, but not yet tho; family stuff's going on, so idk when id be able to get to it- (bro's getting two surgeries at once... one to remove a mole that growing like crazy through one of his toes, and one to remove some excess breast tissue, which is unfortunately a hereditary thing from my moms family, who were plagued by all sorts of cancer and other diseases... not only that, but they're really rude... man i hate their family...), but im sure ill have some time once this whole thing clears up a little.

thanks :D and i think i should just try that theory if putting this one back in doesnt work. im sure i could be a big spender and buy another. :haha: maybe my computer just doesnt like that particular soundcard, and ill hear my computer going "oh thank God he's finally outta here. oh cool! a new one! hey, hows it goin' there new soun... HEYYY! that's it! i'm just going to keep crashing until you throw that b!tch outta here for good." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

w00t! i bought a 30 buck soundblaster live! card and now it works. what an update- from live! value to live! im gonna get a job soon so I can just buy a new computer soon, so no matter, but its nice that i now can hear again. ;)