Please Help!!! data lost on new external hardrive

DaveMan

Hi everyone I havent been here in a while, been away and all (I like the layout, nice job).  I have a big problem. Does anyone know how to recover data from external hard drives? 2 days ago I got a 80GB Seagate External Hardrive, and I backed all my things up right on that day, and today when I try to open some things in the hardrive it wont let me, I put over 40 gigs of files on there, (some improtant) someone please help. I dont know what else to do, any suggestions?

Hi DaveMan....

Just wondering is it a USB H.D. ? If so is it 2.0 and do you have it hooked to a 2.0 USB port ?

Might try shutting all down and try different USB port and or,

Depending on what OS you are running, you might try running a full Scandisk for win98 or Chkdsk /r in recovery console with win2000 or WinXP. or in WinXp check disk for errors with both boxes checked.

Good luck........let us know

I am running Windows XP, and yes the HD is USB 2.0, and I have no clue if it is hooked up to a 2.0 USB port (dont even know how to check) like you said I tried plugging it in different usb ports and shutting everything down, nothing seems to solve the problem, I am really desperate to get all this data back. Its only my names file that wont open (strange). How do I run a scandisk on the external drive? thanks for any help I can get.

I think it would be like any other H.D.just go to explore and find the drive letter, left click it first then, right click on it and go to properties then tools, error checking, check now, then check both boxes and start. click yes and restart the PC.

You might want to check the model # of your PC or the MB model and make sure it is USB 2.0 compatable if it is not, that could be the problem.

MYRIAGON.

EDIT: Also you said you formatted your other H.D. did you reload winXP on the old H.D.? if so did you load SP1 or 2 yet ? if not some USB 2.0 will not work correctly without it.

OK....it's running a full scan, so it may take awhile.

Also check my post above I added an EDIT there.

Thought of something else also, sometimes when transfering a large amount of files it changes them to read only, and may make impossible to transfer them back, just change them back to archive with no read only.

This usually only happens when burning certain files but being a USB H.D. ya never know.

EDIT: Also you said you formatted your other H.D. did you reload winXP on the old H.D.? if so did you load SP1 or 2 yet ? if not some USB 2.0 will not work correctly without it.

Yes, I put XP on the internal hard drive that I had, and it is SP1.  Other USB 2.0 hardware I use on this, it always works. I'm thinking about calling my hard drive companys number, but they are closed now.

Thought of something else also, sometimes when transfering a large amount of files it changes them to read only, and may make impossible to transfer them back, just change them back to archive with no read only.

This usually only happens when burning certain files but being a USB H.D. ya never know.

Actuially you were right, it did change to read only, but as soon as I change it,  it changes right back to read only, therefore not alowing to open my folder that I need.  I just canceled the chkdisk, because it was stuck at the 3rd little dot way too long (something was up), and I know my computer is just fine, and works fine.

I had a couple other thoughts but they would involve going in in safe mode and recovery console , but i don't think the USB would work in either of those modes. :confused1:

Still double check to see if your MB supprts USB 2.0.

Also see if anythig shows in device manager that looks funky.

So I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'm still thinking (can be dangerous) and if I come up with something else to try I'll shoot it back, or maybe one of these other guys out here can think of something we haven't.

Ok, thanks, any help would be appreciated about this time (and I do mean any).  I have a new USB hub connected to my computer, and thats how I am using my external HD, even if I switched the wire to the actuall port, I'm guessing it wouldnt make a difference, because it is only one file in the hard drive that wont open, it comes up with a access denied messege.

If you can find a way to still have USB support in safe mode , then what you can try is to right cvlick on that file and go to security and sharing and give yourself Full Permission or Control to that file then you can change it from read only and or to full access.

Then you should be able to get to it ok.

Ok lets try this.......

Go to Explore, Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings, and scroll down to "Use Simple File Sharing" and UNcheck that.

Then go to the folder you are trying to access and right click that and go to properties, Click the Security Tab and see if the name that you sign in to windows is listed there, if it is not then you have to add it and then choose that name by clicking on it.

When that is done look at the check boxes below and put a check in the box for Full Control. then apply.

Now try to access that folder.

If that doesn't work then try the same procedure on the drive letter to the New drive.