weird speed problem.

Chais

I have verizon 30/5 fios package. I noticed when I max out my upload my download is maxed out also even though im not downloading anything. Does anyone notice this and if so why does this happen? With cable I could max out my upload and download at the same time but with fios it seems to be either upload or download one at a time. Or for example Ill upload half my upload speed and instead of geting the full 30 megs I only get 20 or so. Please any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it may just be that the technology is preventing then from going full guns at the same time...or (like me) when I use my upload all the way, and I'm on cable btw, it drastically slows down my download. i think it is the modem my self. I don't know waht modem you have, but if other people aren't having the same problem, it may just be your modem...umm, try verizon online support...here:

http://www22.verizon.com/CustomerSupport/Anonymous/0%2C1190%2C%2C00.html

check it out. try contacting them, maybe!  ;)

indestructable

:)

well, it may just be that the technology is preventing then from going full guns at the same time...or (like me) when I use my upload all the way, and I'm on cable btw, it drastically slows down my download. i think it is the modem my self. I don't know waht modem you have, but if other people aren't having the same problem, it may just be your modem...umm, try verizon online support...here:

http://www22.verizon.com/CustomerSupport/Anonymous/0%2C1190%2C%2C00.html

check it out. try contacting them, maybe!

could it be a cap of some sort?  i remember you said it was a residential plan on the other forum and most residential  plans cap you for using too much i know cable does but fios might be different with its service.  at the $200 price for 5 mb up and 30 mb down you shouldnt be capped while the other customers pay $50 for 2 mb up and 15 mb down.

i saw a business plan for $380 from fios which is about double yours and wonder if that has the problem you have.

Alright heres the deal. They said (verizon tech) if im uploading at my 5 megs I should only get high teens in my download. Now they gave me a new speedtest site and claim it to be very accurate ( http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/ ). I was hopeing if anyone would like to help me by letting me up a movie on aim to max my upload so I could do the test then to see how bad it effects my download. If your willing to help me please have atleast a 6 meg download cap so I do max my upload out. Thank you guys so much either way and hopefully Ill get to the bottom of this. My aim name is chais82 justs aim me if your willing to help.

Alright heres the deal. They said (verizon tech) if im uploading at my 5 megs I should only get high teens in my download. Now they gave me a new speedtest site and claim it to be very accurate ( http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/ ). I was hopeing if anyone would like to help me by letting me up a movie on aim to max my upload so I could do the test then to see how bad it effects my download. If your willing to help me please have atleast a 6 meg download cap so I do max my upload out. Thank you guys so much either way and hopefully Ill get to the bottom of this. My aim name is chais82 justs aim me if your willing to help.

Alright well im useing a bit torrent program to up a file. Im uploading at an average of 530 KB/s. When I do the speed test at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest while uploading I only get around 1-5 megs down. But when I go to the speedtest verizon gave me I get 12-17megs down but while doing that test it slows down my uploading im doing by alot unlike speakeasy test. Speakeasy doesnt slow my upload down very much. Now I know My internet is slowing down cause while uploading and I try to serf the web, web pages come up slow now. Im lost and just cant figure this out. I shouldnt be loseing so much bandwidth while im uploading.

seems pretty close and i would let you upload to me but aim is'nt on this comp.  sorry

Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 692.53Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 5.00Mb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link<<wonder what that means cause nothing else in on the switch but this and there is a statistics chart.

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 692.53Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 5.00Mb/s

------  Client System Details  ------

OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1

Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.5.0_01

------  Web100 Detailed Analysis  ------

Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.

Link set to Half Duplex mode

Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.

Good network cable(s) found

Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 74.64 msec; the Packet size = 1380 Bytes; and

There were 77 packets retransmitted, 378 duplicate acks received, and 434 SACK blocks received

The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time

This connection is network limited 99.65% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:

RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON

RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON

RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF

RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON

Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable

Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Client IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

now testmy.net

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 672 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 82 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Jul 22 2005 15:42:15 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 12X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 12.49 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 75.46 % faster than the average for host (speakeasy.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-LS4PQCRB5

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5160 Kbps about 5.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 630 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Fri Jul 22 2005 15:43:06 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 92X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.63 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 121.84 % faster than the average for host (speakeasy.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-V2RT638FQ

your losing alot

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 275.25Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 4.13Mb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4345 Kbps about 4.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 530 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Fri Jul 22 2005 15:50:56 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 78X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.93 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 86.72 % faster than the average for host (speakeasy.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZF3EIKHQS

i got 4301 kb on speakeasy.net

I think your mis understanding me. My internet slows down to where web pages take awhile to load up. So anotherwards while I upload at my max unless the upload speed slows down, my download speed is only around a half a meg to about 5 megs. This makes no sense. Verizon tech wants me to upload and then do the test that they supllied then they could help. But there test makes my upload that im doing slow down to about 2.5 megs and says I have 15 megs down and 1.5 meg up. There test defeats the purpose. I need to be uploading at 5 while doing the test not 2.5 . If Im only uploading at 2.5 I will have a better score. Speakeays test doesnt slow my upload down, therefore I only get a score of .5-5 megs down. Im bad at explaineing things so I hope you can understand what Im trying to say.

with cable this did not happen!! heres an example I did the test at speakeasy while uploading at 540 kB/s, here are my results:

Download Speed: 584 Kbps (73 kB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 510 Kbps (63.8 kB/sec transfer rate)

this is not good! Im 30/5 makes no sense Im sorry. Im not downloading anything. If anything 5 megs up should only slow my download to 25 megs down. Anyone got a good answer for me? Thanks everyone.

maybe because verizon is still being worked on you get way faster speeds to some sites and others you dont.

I dont think you understand. My town is up and running! not beeing worked on its done , ready for use. If I stop my upload my results at speakeasy is:

Download Speed: 26905 kbps (3363.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 4450 kbps (556.3 KB/sec transfer rate).

While Im uploading at 540 KB/s My results are:

Download Speed: 584 kbps (73 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 510 kbps (63.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

sry to be mean but...stop complainin, U GOT A KILLER CONNECTION! im stuck on sh*tty 3mb dsl..hell, i dont even hit 3mb, i get more like 2.5mb, if i could atleast hit my DL cap i would b happy, and ur complaining ur DL is slow when ur uploadin so freakin fast?!! get a prog. to limit ur upload so u dont have that DL problem

sry to be mean but...stop complainin, U GOT A KILLER CONNECTION! im stuck on sh*tty 3mb dsl..hell, i dont even hit 3mb, i get more like 2.5mb, if i could atleast hit my DL cap i would b happy, and ur complaining ur DL is slow when ur uploadin so freakin fast?!! get a prog. to limit ur upload so u dont have that DL problem

Dude I dont care Im paying alot and I want what they supposedly sold me! Nothing less. Some problems are understandable but to lose all of ur download while uploading makes no sense And I dont think even you would except this. So yes you are beeing mean!

when i use all my upload my download is limited just like u, maybe its a ISP thing?

When I had cable I was paying for 9 megs down and 2 megs up. I didnt always get the full speeds more like 8.5 down and 1.8 up which is understandable. But also with cable when I was uploading at my full 2 megs up I still had very close to the 9 megs down unlike fios. With fios like I said b4 when I upload at my 5 megs I get not even 1 meg down! Not even a meg! If thats not somthing to try to fix or complaine about then what is? Please anyone with an edgucated answer please help. Thank you again for your time.

whats ur comp specs? maybe its just ur comp cant handle it? i mean it should b able to if u DLin at the 30megs just fine but hey who knows haha, i guess it is weird that u dont even get a meg..hmm. u musta had good cable to do that, when i had my comcast if i uploaded then my DL would b half of what it was

whats ur comp specs? maybe its just ur comp cant handle it? i mean it should b able to if u DLin at the 30megs just fine but hey who knows haha, i guess it is weird that u dont even get a meg..hmm. u musta had good cable to do that, when i had my Comcast if i uploaded then my DL would b half of what it was

Doesnt matter. I say that only because Ill do the uploading on my pc and will do the test on my bros pc in the other room and them are the rsults on the pc that isnt doing anything but the test. But for the record I have 2.4 HT cpu 512 ram 300 giggs of hard drive 256 nvidia geforce fx 5600 video card etc.

u could b just gettn 'ramped' up, or the settings, give it a few days i guess, cause when i frst got my dsl it was slower and my modem kept gettn rebooted for  a couple days, then after about 10 days it got all straightened out