does anyone have VDSl??

Blunted

• 5 weeks later...

oh well i cant open that link for some reason but if you have decent connection you wont even notice the voip on.  i use teamspeak chat software and that uses 25kb on the best settings so voip cant use more than that and if it did its not much more so you should be fine if your upload is atleast over 384 up.

I dont have it yet, but in about a month and a half it will be all set up, im getting the 3mbit/800 connection. What is so good about VDSL? People susbcribed to it say it is great.

As I look back, I see you said that you are getting Bell TV soon (I should have opened my eyes).

I am not sure of the advantages of VDSL vs ADSL, etc.

I believe it offers higher speeds, but at shorter distances. Need the speed for video.

A standard digital cable video stream is around 3-4 mbps. High definition is just under 10mbps, I believe.

So to get a consistent quality picture thru the phone line, you need a higher data rate.

As I look back, I see you said that you are getting Bell TV soon (I should have opened my eyes).

I am not sure of the advantages of VDSL vs ADSL, etc.

I believe it offers higher speeds, but at shorter distances. Need the speed for video.

A standard digital cable video stream is around 3-4 Mbps. High definition is just under 10Mbps, I believe.

So to get a consistent quality picture thru the phone line, you need a higher data rate.

whats wrong with you a standard sigital cable stream is not arount 2-4Mbps try 8-10Mbps and pure HD 1080p is 38Mbps 1080i is 32-33Mbps and 720p is 19Mbps and since mode providers are not going to use VDSL there going to use ADSL2 and ADSL2+ ware you can get upto 66mbps down and 12mbps up. So there will be no problem getting HDTV over a phone line.

Hey all I found a good source for info on ADSL2+, even has a nifty graph showing distance/speed relations. The other links (one for now, i may find more) have info on VDSL/ VDSL2+

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vdsl3.htm

http://gigaom.com/2005/05/19/vdsl2-100-mbps-over-copper-next/ -a little older, but still a good place for information

Hope this helps answer some questions

whats wrong with you a standard sigital cable stream is not arount 2-4Mbps try 8-10Mbps and pure HD 1080p is 38Mbps 1080i is 32-33Mbps and 720p is 19Mbps and since mode providers are not going to use VDSL there going to use ADSL2 and ADSL2+ ware you can get upto 66mbps down and 12mbps up. So there will be no problem getting HDTV over a phone line.

I was pulling these stats out of my head.

We run approx 8-10 (on average) standard definition video channels on one 6MHz (actually 5.36057) 256 QAM channel.

Some channels can be compressed more than others, but 38mbps / 10 = ~3.8 mbps on average per single video stream.

Now we can carry 2 high def channels per 256 QAM carrier (feasibly at this time) so that = 38 mbps / 2 = ~16 mbps per video stream.

You got me on my bad math on the high def part. ;)

Thats how we get 250 channels (and nothing on) on a 110 channel system. Keep in mind that the majority of most cablecos spectrum is still analog (1 video stream per 6MHZ channel).

i will be having 3 tv's on running at the same time and internet, will i have slowdowns?

So can you achieve over advertised speeds with VDSL, and i am in the area for VDSL.

I can't say for sure, duffman, but I would venture to guess that the video will be allotted dedicated bandwidth separate from your internet connection, although on the same line.

So my best guess is No, I don't believe it will have an affect on internet speeds.