Is FIOS tied to your local phone #?

f2racer

I've had FIOS for about a month and I'm looking to dump my expensive local phone service for a VoIP solution (Vonage), but I want to keep my phone number.  I currently have AT&T for local phone (switched from Verizon some time ago when AT&T tried to compete against Verizon for local/long-distance phone service, which they no longer do because of FCC rulings).  When I first ordered FIOS, they had some issues because I didn't have Verizon for local phone service, and now my house has the fiber as well as two copper lines (one for local phone, the other turned off last month for my now defunct Covad DSL).  I know you can't transfer a phone number if you use that number for DSL (shared line) also.  So does anybody know if Verizon has any tie with my AT&T local phone number?  I've gotten some conflicting information regarding whether or not my phone number is portable...

I called Verizon (for VoiceWing) and they seemed to think the number was not portable (transferrable), which AT&T VoIP and Vonage did (at least via their websites).  Anybody know for sure?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...