Desktop Properties

BlazingSpeed

when I try to change my resolution or wallpapers/ screensaver etc...I right click on mouse on the current wallpaper then scroll down to properties, it lets me click it but then it will act like its going to open the properties but does nothing. The little hour glass comes up but then just turns back into a cursor. I know they had these at my school for thier computers but im at home and im an administrator on this comp....any ideas...thanks in advance

For wallpapers, open the image file in Microsoft Paint, go to File -> Set as Background. There are 2 options there.. Although I never did it this way except once, I think centered will work the best. If the access to the Display dialog was denied, then a message should come up saying that.. That's how it is in my school. Maybe it is a virus or spyware that does that, or windows just screwed up. For free online antivirus scan, try the Trend Micro website . Ad-aware is the best for spyware - both effective and user friendly. If you want a free antivirus program for your computer, you could download AVG free antivirus. I don't know if repair on windows would work, but I don't think it is a Video driver too.. Do other options in Control Panel still work (i.e.: System)?

If you have the time or avg and ad-aware don't find anything that solves the problem, you may want to run the program Hijackthis. Open the .exe file and click on scan and save logfile.. After scanning post the log here, so we can see if there is any malicious program running in the background that may cause this problem with the display settings.. Hope AVG and ad-aware help though :)

I have seen something like this before.. Can you get to your ctrl+alt+del menu with out it closing?  Back a little while ago my room mate had some wacked virus thing going on..  He couldnt get to the display screen,  ctrl+alt+del wouldnt work, and couldnt edit the network adaptors...  I would say start fresh.. you might end up tracking the problem down... but my guess is that the problem has created more problems that you dont even know about.

I have had same problem also before. And I think it is some kind of trojan or something. And alot of anti virus programs don't pick them up. I had one before and scanned with like 5 anti virus programs before it found it lol. But anyway I would reccomend running that program they said and see what it running thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

nope, no such luck, i've tried hijack this and i've installed ad-aware but ad-aware did get rid of some other problems like that error box. Any more suggestions what about the window's repair, how do I do that.

I've had problems after installing and uninstalling programs and not realizing the buildup of junk in the registry. I now use a free reg cleaner along with the other protective apps. mentioned. Try http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html , it may help your problem.