school internet

bcraig15

I recently moved off to college and am having some issues with the internet here. At home, we have had cable for as long as I can remember, and it rocked. We get about 2.5 mbps on average. When I first hooked my computer up here I was getting about the equivilent of a 56k modem. I called the tech guys and they came and pinged the crap out of every site on the internet for some reason and called a tech from the ISP. He came over and replaced a worn wall jack (which fixed the packet dropping) and replaced the router (why??? don't know), but he was still suprised that he couldn't get my speed results very high. I currently average about 400-800 kbps depending on the time of day. The way our school internet is set up is weird, each room has its own cable router. I know that like 20,000 people are sharing this connection, but I am thinking that is a bit slow, it is extremely noticable compared to my home connection. I guess I am just wondering what other people in college are getting, and if I should keep bothering the tech guys (they don't seem to care anymore because at least I have some internet.)

I did find that adjusting the rwin value helped alot!! I was on cable internet 4200/256 then came here to Purdue and I was in the low 3's for download. I ran the program Van Buren recommended to you and now I am 12000/2300 i think... i dont remember.. I am on wireless right now so that will not give me a good test but when i get back to the dorm i will post speeds... Run the program and that should help... For the most part the IT staff at college has been excellent!!! Hell of a lot better than my ISP at home, Comast. I was being attacked by some trojan by some dude who had a dirty computer... They took care of that problem really quick.. ofcourse I provided them with the IP address of the computer.. :lol:

By the way welcome to the forum!! keep posting and you will learn more about the internet/computers than you ever wanted to know. :roll:

Hmm, having a little trouble. I was following the instructions for the CableNuts program and I ran into a snag. My MTU setting is 1420, thus my MSS setting is 1380, which is not even on the list of optimized configurations. I tried searching the internet, and I even found instructions from microsoft about how to change the MTU value, but none of them worked. I can't get it to change from 1420. I have Windows XP Pro by the way. Does anyone know the best way to change the MTU setting?

Hmm' date=' having a little trouble. I was following the instructions for the CableNuts program and I ran into a snag. My MTU setting is 1420, thus my MSS setting is 1380, which is not even on the list of optimized configurations. I tried searching the internet, and I even found instructions from microsoft about how to change the MTU value, but none of them worked. I can't get it to change from 1420. I have Windows XP Pro by the way. Does anyone know the best way to change the MTU setting?[/quote']

Try that 1.5 Mbps fullduplex file i have in fiberoptic folder, change TcpRecvSegmentSize to 1380 and also TcpSendSegmentSize to 1380.

Use my guide and calculate your RWIN, then change them too, like i described in my guide.

Good luck

VanBuren :)

so it doesn't matter about the MTU? Does the cablenuts program change that? I think that there must be something wrong with the cable right now because I am getting some very strange activity. Pages will just randomly stop loading sometimes and I have to refresh them, its also running extremely slow, worse than usual. I tried the cablenuts program and it didn't seem to make a difference than the default settings.

As a side note, what is an acceptable packet loss rate for a router?

Thanks for all your help.

weird... when I tried to tweak the settings in the cablenuts program it started causing me to drop packets between me and the router. It was dropping about 15~20% up from 1-2% normally. The packet dropping, I assume, then hindered my speed on the tests. I am going to field a guess that it is not my settings that are the major problem here, but some piece of equipment between me and the internet somewhere or maybe the ISP's configuration. I am gonna give them a call and ask them to check it out. The last time they were here though they just fooled with settings and crap on my computer so fast I couldn't tell what they were doing and it was making me nervous :? , so I am a little hesitant to have them come back. Thanks for all your help!