• 3 out of 5
    • 4 out of 5
    • 5 out of 5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kilroy44

I installed vista on my second hdd and decided like most people it was cool but wasnt worth keeping on there. So since my second hdd is brand new i reformated yet everytime i start my computer the boot menu comes up and asks if i want to but longhorn or xp pro. Does anybody know how to get rid of this so it automatically justs boots up xp pro without me having to reformat my c hdd

thanks

To edit your boot file, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery Settings. On the window that pops up, click on edit the startup options.. There just delete the entry for longhorn with the other stuff for it (delay time..).. Have a backup of the original file first.. When it opens up in Notepad, save it someplace else with a different filename, so you can fix it later if you have to.. Sorry I cannot help more..

Guest Kilroy44

thanks for the help but when it puts up in now asks me if i want to start windows xp pro or windows default is there a way to get it to but automatically into xp instead of this boot menu junk like it used to

Kilroy44, when you deleted the line from your boot.ini file, you may have selected the wrong one. That's why you get the Windows Default option listed.

Mine looks like this:

Notice that the "default" line has "partition(2)" which tells the system to look for two partitions.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Under [operating systems], the lines that start with "multi" are the os's that you have to choose from. The first line is the most recent os that was installed. The second line is the os that you were using before. I'm assuming that you deleted the second "multi" line thinking that it would be the last os installed.

This is what it should look like in order for you to go straight into windows without the selection menu:

Notice that the "default" line has been changed to partition(1) and the first "multi" line was deleted.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I'm pretty sure about this, but backup your file as usual. You can copy & paste the boot information directly above this.  :D

Guest Kilroy44

thanks for the reply organ shifter but I got it fixed i had to match the partion number and the r disk number in the default line to  multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

which fixed it

:oops: Help, I've just completed the vista download, extracted it and burned it to a DVD....which went well.  So I then decided to delete the downloaded files.......including the .nfo......without noting the key.  Any chance someone can help me please?.......v embarassed  :oops:

what do you mean they are not working anymore? do you mean for Vista or in general? cause im downloading right now from torrents..

Hmm, to say it inbetter words:

The Website offering the .torrent's does not offer them anymore. (they say something about the DMCA) but I found othere sources for them.

Just try this: http://www.torrentz.com/t.php?id=149952

And the download itself could not be affected by M$. BUt if you want to start from new, it most likely will get more and more complicated...

Nomike

I downloaded the beta and here is what the file contained when i was done downloading iso6vk.png i tryed buring just the ISO to a DVD but could not boot from it. This is whats in the ISO when i extract it unziped8pl.png i also tryed buring that to a dvd and could not boot from it. Is my download missing something? And i checked my BIOS and it is set to boot from CD first.

Thanks

I downloaded the beta and here is what the file contained when i was done downloading iso6vk.png i tryed buring just the ISO to a DVD but could not boot from it. This is whats in the ISO when i extract it unziped8pl.png i also tryed buring that to a dvd and could not boot from it. Is my download missing something? And i checked my BIOS and it is set to boot from CD first.

Thanks

Put the DVD that you put the iso on. and restart you're computer but hit DELETE so it goes into your BIO's. once in your BIOs goto BOOT DISK and where it shows your HARDDRIVE as the BootDrive disable it so it doesn't use it as the boot. that way it automatically picks up the DVD in your DRIVE. and after it goes through the first installation and it restarts make sure to hit delete again and go back into your bios and now set your bootdisk back too boot through you're harddrive and just follow it after that.

ive tried to install 3 different torrents of vista and when i try to install vista with OUT burning it, i gets as far as the "Enter cd-key" part and thn i click next and than it says

"Stub loader blah blah blah..." and than freezes and quits :angry5:

does anyone know what im doing wrong or do i have to burn it(id rather mount it), if i have to burn it, could someone walk me thru the steps?