Intel, AMD, and PowerPC G4

pitbull481

What are the differences between Intel, AMD, Apple?

and which is best?

The biggest difference to the best of my knowledge, is that AMD and Intel make the CPUs as a sort of stand alone sell, designed to be compatable with different hardware (motherboards, PCI devices, RAM, etc.) made by all different companies.  Apple designs their computers such that each piece of hardware is designed specifically to work with each other piece of hardware in the computer, there is no mixing and matching as with PCs.  This limits how much you are able to configure the components of the machine, but adds to the stability and efficiency of how an Apple runs.

The biggest difference to the best of my knowledge, is that AMD and Intel make the CPUs as a sort of stand alone sell, designed to be compatable with different hardware (motherboards, PCI devices, RAM, etc.) made by all different companies. Apple designs their computers such that each piece of hardware is designed specifically to work with each other piece of hardware in the computer, there is no mixing and matching as with PCs. This limits how much you are able to configure the components of the machine, but adds to the stability and efficiency of how an Apple runs.

Now that Apple has switched from IBM to Intel processors, things could get interesting. Some day you may be able to run Mac OS and Windows on the same computer (e.g.:dual boot), which even though I'm not a Mac fan, sounds very interesting. I hope this opens up some compition for M$.

Guest helloimtim

Gotta wonder if thats whats up. I mean apple switching cpu. That would finaly give bill a run for his money and another choice for users. I would Love to try apple os. Maybey someday soon........

Now that Apple has switched from IBM to Intel processors, things could get interesting. Some day you may be able to run Mac OS and Windows on the same computer (e.g.:dual boot), which even though I'm not a Mac fan, sounds very interesting. I hope this opens up some compition for M$.

I'm glad Intel jumped aboard with Apple.  IBM's PowerPC chips were solid, but I think Intel can really take Apple to the next level.  I do hope that Apple gets more popularity so that it gets the props it deserves, but I'm afraid that along with that will come targetting by viruses.

Then why are you talking about laptop vendors???

ummmm i picked  3 different laptops (processors and in the same price range)  :angry3:

Apple - PowerPC G4 (processor)

Sony - Intel Petium M (processor)

Gateway - Mobile AMD Athlon 64 (processor)

read what i am talking

Out of these laptops, which is best? I picked all 3 from Bestbuy and to closest price range

Apple is the loser.. why would you by a laptop that is going to be about $1500 on a platform that is going to disappear?

My choice would be the gateway.. Bigger hard drive, more memory, and x600 graphics..

the sony would be an ok choice.. however, intergrated graphics, only 512mb of ram, smaller hard drive.  However, this one will kill the other 2 in batter tests..

there is a clear answer: yes.

it all depends on what you want the laptop for. graphics and stuff? the apple.

raw computing? tossup between amd and intel.

if you want to pick a laptop, look at what you need.

for example, if battery runtime is the deciding factor, that would swing it towards a celeron. or a pentium with a pricier battery.

there are many variables, including screen size, weight, memory (more ram=more power drain), hdd, cd/dvd drive/burner, video input/output etc.

put together a list of what you really want/need, then start comparing prices. if what you choose is too expensive, start lowering your expectations.

one option is always a cheap, usable laptop paired with a decent desktop. if it's a standalone, docking stations are a good option.

put together a list for yourself, or post here, and io'm sure people will be able to come up with suggestions and/or comparisons.

it all comes down to your needs.

its all about personal prefrence, what you like. I am a intel boy, but i have 2 amd's that i use for servers, only because they were ch$$e. My intel i use for gaming, and 3D, video rendering. My mac mini i really don't use because theres nothing really to do on it, but what they hell it was free. 

This is it this is suppose to be about processors not about laptops other bits of hardware.

you cant compare a processor by matching up different pc's or laptops because they more than likely have different mobo's which means different chipsets, ram, hdd, gpu, etc.

The G4 is a superior processor even though it has a lower operation speed than the Intel or AMD

it utilizes a 7 stage pipeline process whereas the Intel P4 has 20 and AMD is similar.

Bottom line is that most people use Microsoft OS and Microsoft software such as Office and the like

so the G4 is out of the race. besides apple is soon to have Intel manufacture their CPU's so Apple could possibly make revolutionary turn and make their PC's more like an IBM compatable (which has manufactured Mac's CPU) Anyhow if you are a huge gamer and not heavily into business end software etc. AMD is the ticket. On the contrary if your into IT, and servers, and just simply whatever, then Intel is what you need. It use to be that Intel was more expensive than AMD not necessarily so They both manufacture very good processors so it all boils down to preference. If you are building your own PC you get to pick what Mobo, chipsets, type of ram, AGP or PCI-E, onboard sound or not you get the gist. If not then you can get whateever Dell, gateway, or FalconNorthwest is building at that time.

yes I have heard of the opteron but it is a well known fact that Intel server proc have been 64bit long before AMD and that they are truly better, hence the much larger market share. Businesses account for the bear share of computers and dell home computers dont even offer AMD. I am not bashing AMD I am just pointing out that if 80% of all servers are Intel Procs then there is a good reason this is so, especially seeing that AMD is slightly more affordable.

dell home computers dont even offer AMD

The reason that is the way it is is because Dell signed a contract with Intel a while back to only offer intel based products..  Here is a little article explaining.. http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Feb/bch20040219023937.htm  the contract is worth about 500 million a year..

Intel server proc have been 64bit long before AMD and that they are truly better, hence the much larger market share

Again.. AMD was the first of amd/intel to offer 64bit extensions.. IBM's power series i do believe offered it first.. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1530179,00.asp "Now that Intel has followed AMD's lead into the market for 64-bit computing, the leveled playing field could play to Intel's advantage over the long term, analysts said."  By the way the Intel Itanium was the first 64bit cpu offered by Intel.. We are talking about hard core servers at that point.. http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/merced.htm Most businesses run the Xeon line..  The Market share is due to the fact that until the AMD chip showed up Intel was the only solution other than Big blue.  September 22, 2003 is the date that the first Opteron was launched.

Now that Intel has followed AMD's lead into the market for 64-bit computing, the leveled playing field could play to Intel's advantage over the long term, analysts said.

Do you even know how much a server that is using a xeon costs? we talking about 3000+ for a single server.  That on top of the fact that server have a 3-5 year life span make it hard for AMD to penetrate the market of bigger businesses.  Now some businesses lease their equipment.  Most of the time when the lease comes up it is replaced by the same architecture to remove any chances of it being incompatible with something.  Mostly software.  Not to mention the fact that most business have hundreds of servers at any given point.  That is alot to spend on servers.. Not to mention the intstall, setup, and removal charges. plus downtime.. Most companies dont restart their servers unless absolutely necessary.. there are a few where I am currently work that have been running for more than 3 years straight.

I am not trying to bash Intel either..  But some of your facts are a little bit off..

I thought AMD started only a year after intel?

I am not sure what this means.. in the server market? producing chip in general?

Server market has been dominated by IBM, Big Blue, and Intel since the start.. AMD is a new commer in that field.

AMD did start a year after in the business world.. 1968 Intel 1969 AMD.  However, AMD wasnt making CPUs. they were making storage devices.. Their first processor wasnt really a processor it was a controller for memory flows.. In 1975 the first true processor, as we think of it today, 8080A.  Before the Opteron I dont even know if AMD was really considered to be apart of the Server world.  Xeon would kick the pants off of just about anything that was out from k6 to the XP.  Would be interesting if you could find a server based on a K6 of xp that was recommended. 

The original Xeon was launched in 1998 on the p2 platform..

In 1,000-unit quantities, the Pentium II Xeon processor 400 MHz with 512 KB L2 cache costs $1,124.00, and the Pentium II Xeon processor 400 MHz with 1 MB L2 cache costs $2,836.00.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/sp062998.htm

Isnt that just amazing.. 2800 bucks for a cpu.. The latest 3.6 is about 700 boxed.

To correct myself..

September 22, 2003 is the date that the first Opteron was launched.

The Opteron was introduced in april of 2003.. I am not sure when they hit the markets.. it might have been september.. that is when that article was written.