Trace Route

tbaker397

Before, when running a trace route to testmy.net with the modem directly connected, the tracert times out, however, when connected through a router, the tracert works fine. Is this supposed to be that way, I thought it should be timing out when behind a router. Anyone else have this?

Before, when running a trace route to testmy.net with the modem directly connected, the tracert times out, however, when connected through a router, the tracert works fine. Is this supposed to be that way, I thought it should be timing out when behind a router. Anyone else have this?

That's odd. I would have though it would be the other way around.

I dont know lol,when I directly connect,my internet doesnt work at all :haha:

It's probably, because your router's MAC address is the only one registered for use with your ISP.

Try unplugging your modem, unplug the router. Let the modem stay off for about a minute, (to"reset").

Plug your computer into the modem and then plug the modem back in.

Some times you may have to reset the modem a few times for it to work.

Resetting the modem, clears out the mac address currently set for it. If it doesn't work, you may have to call your ISP.

Try unplugging your modem, unplug the router. Let the modem stay off for about a minute, (to"reset").

Plug your computer into the modem and then plug the modem back in.

Some times you may have to reset the modem a few times for it to work.

Resetting the modem, clears out the mac address currently set for it. If it doesn't work, you may have to call your ISP.

Ok ill try it,and normally both are supposed to be recognized right?

Ok ill try it,and normally both are supposed to be recognized right?

Both what, the computer and the router?

Most ISP's keep track of your MAC address to make sure you only have one computer or router connected at a time. They do it, usually to conserve IP address's

Were you able to browse the webpages at this time?  What was your IP address?  You need to powercycle your modem when you connect a new device to it so that it is able to register the MAC and assign a new IP address accordingly.  If you just hook up your modem to your PC after you have been online throught the router without powercycling, then the modem thinks that you are still on the router, and no connection will be present.  Powercycle the modem like netmasta suggests, then try the traceroute with the direct connection, it should be good to go.