VoIP

Swimmer

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, in case anyone else is interested, my final test today worked out nicely.  I did a LiveMeeting meeting where I was the presenter, did desktop sharing, etc.  Everything work out well so I'm moving full steam ahead porting my old number. 

And I took the security discussion offline.  I'm too paranoid to discuss my stuff in a public forum.  Sorry.

Hey:

I'm also using vonage Viop....  No issues......  Great and great price.  HOWEVER,  make sure you ahve the bandwidth.  I have 1mps up so it's not an issue.  If your 256  you could hit a wall much faster...

I've run gaming,  hosted server and had phones working.  All fine.  If I'm really pumping everything AND I upload a huge file,  the file goes slower,  but everthing else is fine.

Also extra phone lines are cheap and you can route them so thats really a nice function,  allong with having voicemail on your computer.

Get it!!!

Enjoy

• 2 years later...

Concerning troubles with Vonage

My internet provider is Shoreham.net, small pop&mom operation,our only choice

When I tested Bandwith this morning the results were 133.16 kilobits per second &16.25 kilobytes per second

For Components I have 2 Vonage modem devises, 2 Linksys routers one is Etherfast cable/DSL Router, the other is Wirelsess G 2.4 GHZ Broad Band Router and a 5 Port work group switch. Also a note of interest is that I do a fair amount of speed tests and my download is always consistent in the 1000-1100kbs range. The upload on the other hand varies greatly from 100-600 kbs range and my provider doesn't seem to have an explanation for this variation. Thanks for the help

Concerning troubles with Vonage

My internet provider is Shoreham.net, small pop&mom operation,our only choice

When I tested Bandwith this morning the results were 133.16 kilobits per second &16.25 kilobytes per second

For Components I have 2 Vonage modem devises, 2 Linksys routers one is Etherfast cable/DSL Router, the other is Wirelsess G 2.4 GHZ Broad Band Router and a 5 Port work group switch. Also a note of interest is that I do a fair amount of speed tests and my download is always consistent in the 1000-1100kbs range. The upload on the other hand varies greatly from 100-600 kbs range and my provider doesn't seem to have an explanation for this variation. Thanks for the help

Well go ahead and do a dual test here, and post it, then we'll start there.

I have it with roadrunner, it works great. It only stopped when our cable modem stopped working for half a day. a very sad half day..  :cry2:

I have Vonage, with roadrunner, never had any issues other than the need to use there GUI to set the B/W allowed for VIOP.  I had Vonage way before they started  the roadrunner voip service, or I am sure I would have rr.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 550 Kbps about 0.55 Mbps (tested with 600 kB)

Download Speed is:: 67 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 420 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 51 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/04/11 - 8:19am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-RLT495GSY

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-61R9JQAXG

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

I thought I would do another test as you can see there seems to be a lot of inconsistency with my provider

::Your connection is: 1000 Kbps or 1 Mbps

You downloaded at: 122 kB/s

You are running: 17 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 8.39 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:itchiemitten CompID:191342483447

Test Time:: 2008/04/11 - 8:30am

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Test ID: M6O843YQA (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 27.55 % faster than the average for host (shoreham.net)

This was tested from a 1000 kB file and took 8.188 seconds to complete

:..

testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1074 Kbps about 1.07 Mbps (tested with 1000 kB)

Download Speed is:: 131 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 603 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 74 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/04/11 - 8:26am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AE8FTBQNS

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XOEUN6M8I

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

Just recently I went to the lowest level on the Bandwith saver section and that didn't seem to help my problem. Should I change it back to the high level? I have done several speed test in the past and the download speed in fairly consistent, but the upload speed varies greatly from under 100 to 600. Could that have an impact?

Considering the highest amount of B/W they have a setting for is 90 kbps , you should be fine unless you are downloading heavy during a call.  The higher the settings , the more B/W is given, therefore the better the sound. So in your case , it seems a bit strange that you have better sound quality w/ the lower settings.

Why do you have two voip routers again?

I will go ahead and move them up to 90. I have 2 vonage devices because I have 2 vonage lines. Actually I have 3 vonage lines, but currently the 3rd one is offsite as I have an employee that works remotely. I have the 2 linksys routers and workgroup switch because I need all those ports to run the phones computers etc