VoIP

Swimmer

I will go ahead and move them up to 90. I have 2 vonage devices because I have 2 vonage lines. Actually I have 3 vonage lines, but currently the 3rd one is offsite as I have an employee that works remotely. I have the 2 linksys routers and workgroup switch because I need all those ports to run the phones computers etc

I have three numbers one of which is a toll free, and on that is a fax, the other one is a standard number,each have two lines, all of which I run off the same router, plus I have them roll over to two other numbers.

I suppose they don't have a router that handles more that two physical numbers.

Sounds as if you would be really pushing your B/W limit if you had a couple call, not to mention using the net at the same time.  The solution here may be to see about upgrading your caps w/ your ISP.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One router has a fax and a phone line, the other router has just one line attached to it. I'm doubtful that my isp provider can increase the bandwith to my place. They are the only show in town and have a monopoly on phone and internet service and they know it, so customer service is not a high priority to them.It seems the majority of problems arise when there upload speed is low. I was hoping there was something internal on my system that might be causing the problem.

In the for what it's worth dept I contacte Vonage and the following is the response I received from them. I quit listening to streaming audio on line and then found Testmynet and here we are. If you see something in the Vonage recommendations that sound helpful please let me know

I understand that the person on the other end cannot hear you properly.

One-way audio or No audio can be due to:

a. A firewall on your network

b. A bad hop on the Internet may be dropping the packets

c. Bandwidth is extremely low so the outbound audio would not be heard.

The information provided below should help you to find where the audio issue is being caused and to eliminate it.

1.Vonage recommends the use of modems with a DOCSIS rating of 1.1 or higher in order to assure the best quality of service. If you are unsure of the DOCSIS rating of your internet modem, you can obtain the same from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

2.Many existing network components (routers/hubs/switches) were not designed to handle the amount of packets per second that VoIP requires to service a quality call. To ensure that this is not an issue, it is recommended that the Vonage adapter be connected directly to cable or DSL modem.

The recommended network configuration is given below:

Cable/DSL Modem --> Vonage Telephone Adapter --> Single Phone

(Connecting the Vonage adapter to home wiring that has not been properly configured can cause audio issues when using the adapter. It can also cause potential damage to the physical port on the telephone adapter.)

3. Running any bandwidth intensive operations on your computer can cause a quality of service issue. The solution is to minimize bandwidth usage or disable these programs when the phone is in use.

(file sharing / a server/ using VPN / online gaming / viewing or listening to streaming video or audio on the web etc)

To diagnose latency and packet loss issues and Round Trip Time (RTT), please run the following tests in your computer connected to the Vonage Telephone Adapter and provide us the results.

1. Run upload and download speed tests on one of the following sites and provide us the test results:

http://www.testmy.net/

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

http://www.vonage.com/help.php?keyword=Speedtest&ga=int'>http://www.vonage.com/help.php?keyword=Speedtest&ga=int

2. Run a Ping Test:

To run a ping test on a Windows XP Machine:

a)Click on START -> RUN...

b)Type 'cmd' (For older windows versions, type in 'command')

c)Type 'ping -l 600' and enter in a destination IP to trace to (for instance, www.yahoo.com)

example: ping -l 600 www.yahoo.com

3.Run a Tracert Test:

a)Click on START -> RUN...

b)Type 'cmd' (For older windows versions, type in 'command')

c)type tracert Domain Name

example: tracert www.yahoo.com

Please use the following steps to copy/paste the test results in your reply:

1. On the black screen, right click and select 'Mark', select the portion to be copied.

2. Press the 'Enter' key.

3. Paste the information copied.

If you have any questions, your Vonage team is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact us whenever and however it suits you!

- On-Line Help Center at http://www.vonage.com/help.php

- Contact Us at http://www.vonage.com/help_contactus.php

- Or call Toll-Free at 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357)

Thanks

Randy

It's going to be tough for you to get consistent upload speeds from what you say, the only way your going to maximize the sound quality is place QOS on the ports that hold the phone service.

How i have mine set up ~  Modem > Router > VOIP router

l

"Switch" and so on

I set the port in the main router to give the best QOS to the VOIP router, so when there are call, no matter, the VIOP router gets privileged.

Every "daisychained" router after the first one, I turn the DHCP server off, so the first one gives the IP's, and there are no conflicts.

Alright! After a quick qoogle search I now understand what QOS is but I'm clueless how to implement it into my systems. I'm very happy with the VOIP systme when it works, but I'm starting to get complaints from my customers and that potentially will cause a problem. I always have the option of going back to a land line, but that's kind of a last resort because of my remote employee.If you could advise me on what procedures to do, and if they are cost effective, I would be more than glad to give it a whirl. Please understand you may have to dumb it down for me.

Thanks a bunch

So I have 4 cat5 ports at my main hub all of which are directly hooked to the DSL and to 4 other cat 5 switches located in different areas of the room. Each one of the ports from the main hub has a wire that goes to the linksysrouters. The vonage routers are also hooked up to the linksys routers. There seems to be a fair amount of looping from router to router. There is quite a maze of wires there, but let me know what I should do next.

Did you set this up yourself?    I ask because I really would like not to have you dismantle this thing to re route , and then have you stuck w/ a pile of wires and no access to the net. Once you start  this , you have to be able to re connect things , and configure them properly. I will say this is what I would do, and if you chose to delve into it or not, I'll respect it.

QOS on max port 1              Line 1 & 2        Fax (Or where the numbers are on the ports) Make sure before removing

l                                  l                        l

Modem>  Router (DHCP on) >>  port 1 >>>  Voip router >>>> Voip router

l                                                  l                         l

Switch or other router w/ DHCP off                 DHCP Off             DHCP Off

l

l

l

All other network connections

Does this look possible?

I may be willing to try, can't do it today as we are leaving shortly, but I have a few questions What is the QOS tat goes on max port 1 and how do I know which one is max port 1? What is DHCP and how do I turn them on and off? I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about unplugging wires and then have my system down. I had an IT person hook things up, but he is no longer available. Once you answer my questions I will see how brave I am Thanks

I may be willing to try, can't do it today as we are leaving shortly, but I have a few questions What is the QOS tat goes on max port 1 and how do I know which one is max port 1? What is DHCP and how do I turn them on and off? I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about unplugging wires and then have my system down. I had an IT person hook things up, but he is no longer available. Once you answer my questions I will see how brave I am Thanks

QOS ~ quality of service.     So that that port, or that plug in the back of the router that the device is plugged into will be configured for priority bandwidth when open.

DHCP ~Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (protocol for automating the configuration of tcpip)  So that when the network card asks for an address, the server gives it an address in the form of numbers, or octets  (ie: 127.0.0.1 local host ) so the packets or data knows where to go, kinda like a street sign, or your house address , so the postman knows where to deliver mail.

The router by default turns on the DHCP server, before we do this, we will walk through the router gui ( graphical user interface)   which on the linksys you have they shoud belocated at 192.168.15.1 or 192.168.1.1 so understanding what is going to happen, allows things to happen. All configuration will be done in this manner.

The modem will be located at 192.168.100.1 There's not much you should do here, especially since you have DSL, there is sometimes many settings that can turn your connection into mush. But you could still reset them to the defaults.

Before doing anything, take tape of some kind to write on, or if by any chance you have those little number stickies that are used to wrap around the wires to identify what they are connected to. Masking tape works well when nothing else is available. Note down everything , and the placement of everything. Making sure you know what goes where by numbers or by names , whatever works for you. Look into the router configuration, and make a few notes as to the settings, just be meticulous, and if all fails, you can just return things to where they were originally. If in doubt , don't change settings.

I've decided to tackle this one wire at a time so as not to get things too screwed up. I stand corrected from yesterday, I do have a paradyne modem supplied by my ISP. There is a wire that goes from that modem and hooks into the internet plug of the 1st router. The #1 port of that router has a wire that goes to the #1 port of the 2nd router.My question is should the vonage devices go into the 2ND & 3rd ports of the 2nd router for maximum bandwith?

I've decided to tackle this one wire at a time so as not to get things too screwed up. I stand corrected from yesterday, I do have a paradyne modem supplied by my ISP. There is a wire that goes from that modem and hooks into the internet plug of the 1st router. The #1 port of that router has a wire that goes to the #1 port of the 2nd router.My question is should the vonage devices go into the 2ND & 3rd ports of the 2nd router for maximum bandwith?

Just take some time to "map out" the wires, get familiar w/ the router interfaces at the links below, and take notes on what you find, only when you feel  100% confident to get into this you should continue.

The port QOS is set in the router itself , so it really doesn't matter, personally, I put the highest needed device on port 1.

I've spent some time this morning on the Linksys website and I'm learning a whole new language. Our conversations are making more sense now. It appears the 1st router is the wireless and I typed that address in my toolbar and was able to see the set up there. I can't seem to find the 2nd router to turn off the DHCP. It is turned on in the 1st router.

I've spent some time this morning on the Linksys website and I'm learning a whole new language. Our conversations are making more sense now. It appears the 1st router is the wireless and I typed that address in my toolbar and was able to see the set up there. I can't seem to find the 2nd router to turn off the DHCP. It is turned on in the 1st router.

OK good for you for reading up, no really many people just want to jump in then get freaked out  lol.

You should be able to log into the 1st router as you say is the wireless, and look under the client list to see the live IP addresses, I can't give you a screenshot, I am running dd wrt on my wireless. Just get a bit more familiar by looking a bit deeper into the setup , and you'll find the addressees.

I do believe something is not setup correctly. I found the DHCP active IP table and I am showing 5 device on there. The wireless router ends in .100 I believe the next router should be 101 and then the computers are 102,103,&104. When I try to ping 101 and 104 I have 100% packet loss and when I try to trace 101 & 104 the come up as untraceable. This potentiall could be adding to my troubles

I do believe something is not setup correctly. I found the DHCP active IP table and I am showing 5 device on there. The wireless router ends in .100 I believe the next router should be 101 and then the computers are 102,103,&104. When I try to ping 101 and 104 I have 100% packet loss and when I try to trace 101 & 104 the come up as untraceable. This potentiall could be adding to my troubles

OK it doesn't really work in a way that the numbers are given out in consecutive order. Lets say comp #1 -4 are on. You shut down, that ip goes back to the pool, you startt up the machine again, the IP wil be pulled from the pool within the parameters set within the router range, this also applies to any router  you may have .

The reason you can't ping certain IP's may very well be that you have them stemming from a router that does not allow to be pinged, and or the machine specific firewall settings .

Any suggestions how I can pull up the other router then to disable the DCHP. I can't seem to find an ip address that will pull it up. The only one I can pull up is the wireless that is hooked to the modem

That must be the first one in the network right? the router you can access?    If you have the second router connected off the first one, and any devices off the second, it will be turned off, otherwise you would have no connection to the device connected to the second router due to a possible IP conflict.

You can do that , if necessary, by connectiong  directly to the router you wish to turn DHCP off and typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.15.1or 192.168.0.1 or so on.

Yes that is correct The router I can pull up has the address of 192.168.1.1

In checking the IP address of my computers, 2 of them have addresses of 102 &103 assigne by DHCP. The 3rd computer has an ip addresses of 192.168.120 manually configured. That leaves 101 & 104 unaccounted for, I assume one those is the other router.

So back to my original VOIP problem. If I am looking at your diagram correctly.

I should hook up the ISP modem to the internet connection and then have a wire go from port 1 on the wireless to port 1 on the other router. I should then hook my VOIP devices to port 2 and port 3 of the other router to get maximum bandwith on those devises. Does that make sense?

ok do this for me, whatever way you can just show me how your network is set up, the "manually configured box has me hesitant, my questions are why, is this a vpn, is this accessed by remote users, do you host a ftp through it, and so on. So at this point , I would like to see if it is possible to do this in leaving the network basically the way it is.

Ok

From the DSL modem I go into the internet port on the wireless router Port 1 on the wireless goes to port 1 on the 2nd router port 2 on the 2nd router goes to the linksys workswitch port 3 on th e2nd router goes to one of the computers port 4 on the 2nd goes to vonage devise port 2 on the wireless goes to the other vonage port 3&4 goe to other computers and port 1 on switch goes to another computer.

The computer that has been manually configure is being used remotely and will be until may and then again next January.

Don't know what VPN & FTP is.

I was just talking to a friend of mine in an area that I seem to have a lot of trouble and things were really good until I tried to do a speedtest on Mytest.net. When I hit the upload portion of the test is when the phone started to cut out. Very frustrating. Any ideas

Ok

From the DSL modem I go into the internet port on the wireless router Port 1 on the wireless goes to port 1 on the 2nd router port 2 on the 2nd router goes to the linksys workswitch port 3 on th e2nd router goes to one of the computers port 4 on the 2nd goes to vonage devise port 2 on the wireless goes to the other vonage port 3&4 goe to other computers and port 1 on switch goes to another computer.

The computer that has been manually configure is being used remotely and will be until may and then again next January.

Don't know what VPN & FTP is.

I was just talking to a friend of mine in an area that I seem to have a lot of trouble and things were really good until I tried to do a speedtest on Mytest.net. When I hit the upload portion of the test is when the phone started to cut out. Very frustrating. Any ideas

VPN ~ Virtual Private Network  Used to access an off site computer in a secure fashion. Or to allow another machine off site to access a computer on your network.

FTP ~ File Transfer Protocol ~  used to transfer files in many different ways from one computer to another. Or one network to another.

The reason you "break up" is exactly what we hope to solve by giving the phone router priority over any other connection. The available bandwidth you have is being split between connections, there is not enough to around.