How much ram do u have?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How much ram do u have?

• >256
    • 256-512
    • 512-1gb
    • 1gb-2gb
    • 2gb+

:D remember that ram is to speed as cubic inch displacement is to horse power in other words ram is one of the more important factors in computer building as is bore x stroke is to cubic inch configuration  in engine building, they are both needed for power and that my dear Mr's. and Mrs's.is my take on this survey. More is always better in this particular instance.

p.s.

Good question how about this one?  Ram power vs Processor power where does that equation stand in the mix of things and which one has more importance? :idea::D

Guest Hyperspace

I have 512MB...but only use on average about less then 200MB of it. So if I installed 2GB of RAM, it would not speed my PC up at all. But a faster processor sure would!  :cool:

It is almost always cheaper to upgrade ram vs. a processor and the benefits are usually greater.

Unless you have my PC I built it 3+ years ago I have a P4 2.26 533fsb w/ 512Mb of PC1066mHz Rambus. I could upgrade to a 2.8-3.0 w/ H.T. proc but it would cost near $500 to upgrade my ram to a gig. Rambus cost the same as it did 3 years ago. and beside my Mobo only supports 4x AGP.

So if your in my shoes your screwed. But if you have DDR a 1 gig module runs for approx $100.

Upgrade ram first and later when ya have the cash upgrade the CPU as prices will have dropped on that flag ship proc by then.

;)

Good question how about this one?  Ram power vs Processor power where does that equation stand in the mix of things and which one has more importance?

As milchama mentioned there becomes a point that a new cpu is needed.  If you are going to do a new system to day say based on an AMD 64 bit cpu.  The difference between the processors, 3000 v 3200, is between 10%- 20%.  Which mean that you pay more for the 3200 but you really never see the extra speed.  However, RAM... you put an extra 512mb in your system you will see proformance difference.. you can store more which means that less hard drive access.  Having to go to the hard drive for information is a performance killer!  Now if you have 2 gigs in a 650MHz computer it is time for you to upgrade.  If you have a Athlon 64 2800+ with 512mb of ram.. and you think your system is "slow" i would recommend the memory upgrade. 

If you are going to build a system.. Unless you have to have the latest chip and are using money that you really should you for ram.. I would get the one below  the processor and get more memeory..

If you are looking to upgrade your system.. Unless you have atleast 400-500 bucks dont wasted your time.. You are going to have to get a processor, motherboard, and memory..

:D How's it go swimmer

That was the point I was trying to elude to, as in engine building there is no replacement for  cubic inch displacement, which is equal to ram in my uneducated mind, it always boils down to cost

:idea::D :D

(As milchama mentioned there becomes a point that a new cpu is needed.  If you are going to do a new system to day say based on an AMD 64 bit cpu.  The difference between the processors, 3000 v 3200, is between 10%- 20%.  Which mean that you pay more for the 3200 but you really never see the extra speed.  However, RAM... you put an extra 512mb in your system you will see performance difference.. you can store more which means that less hard drive access.  Having to go to the hard drive for information is a performance killer!  Now if you have 2 gigs in a 650MHz computer it is time for you to upgrade.  If you have a Athlon 64 2800+ with 512mb of ram.. and you think your system is "slow" i would recommend the memory upgrade.

If you are going to build a system.. Unless you have to have the latest chip and are using money that you really should you for ram.. I would get the one below  the processor and get more memory..

If you are looking to upgrade your system.. Unless you have at least 400-500 bucks dont wasted your time.. You are going to have to get a processor, motherboard, and memory..) that was a quote from one of our mods that has been here for a long time, your question was answered before you asked it :D :D

Fred

Guest Hyperspace

The bottom line: If you are not using all of the RAM you have now, getting more will NOT speed up your PC. Now, getting a "more advanced" type of RAM might help. Also, your hard drive RPMs and all kinds of other factors come into play as far as making you computer go "faster".

That was the point I was trying to elude to, as in engine building there is no replacement for  cubic inch displacement, which is equal to ram in my uneducated mind, it always boils down to cost

I know squat about engines..  :lol: other then they make my car go.. :D  It is more of a balancing act between processor speed, amount of ram, and how old the system is.

Many games recomend 1 gig of ram as it would also come in handy if editing video

although you may only be using 200 of 512 mb of ram. However, when you get into battlefield 2 or any video editing software you will be impressed with more ram over a faster proc. and when your proc just dosent cut it any more get a new one and so on this is all supposing that ya'll have at least a 7200 rpm HD with an 8meg cache or greater

yea, 128 mb is XP's min requirement. If you want to see perfomance always try to exceed recomended requirements

I bet that helped out alot? like the computer booted faster then 5min?  I dont think i would even try to install on anything less than 256 or 512. Hell an unpatched fresh install of the original copy takes 78.3mb of ram to boot..

Many games recomend 1 gig of ram as it would also come in handy if editing video

although you may only be using 200 of 512 mb of ram when you get into battlefield 2 or any video editing software you will be impressed with more ram over a faster proc. and when your proc just dosent cut it any more get a new one and so on this is all supposing that ya'll have at least a 7200 rpm HD with an 8meg cache or greater

Speaking of Bf2.. I have found that if i alt tab out of the program i am running close to 700mb used while in game.. That is HUGE!!!  that is also before the memory leak was repaired by 1.02

Speaking of Bf2.. I have found that if i alt tab out of the program i am running close to 700mb used while in game.. That is HUGE!!!  that is also before the memory leak was repaired by 1.02

yea I played the demo on my PC w/ 512 mb of ram and I could play well but was not greatly impressed I am gonna just wait till it comes out on the 360, and or get the game when I build a new PC sometime next year when Longhorn is released

I just baught a new laptop yesterday with 512 of ddr2 and went straight to newegg.com, got a 1 gig stick for 99 bucks and installed today. That makes 1.3 gig of ddr2 ram 4200... WOOOO freaking HOOO this baby flies. It also has a 17 inch widescreen and x700 ati card, great for a laptop.