Do I really need a different wireless router w/ FiOS??

FiOSCustomer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure that you are using the latest firmware on the router.. and try a power cycle of the router.. some types that will make a huge difference!!  What type of router is it?

BTW you should get about 75-80% of your ethernet speed on your wifi connection..

I am about 19,000kbps and i get about 15-16k on my 54g connection.. If you are still using an 802.11b, 11mbps, then it would make sense that on the wifi you are only getting about 2000ish.  most of the throughput on those ranges between 2.5mpbs and 5.5mbps.. which is less than the overall bandwidth of your connection.

I think it is a problem of the laptop. I had a technican come out on Friday since they needed to fix the battery backup. I also asked him to run a speed test with his laptop. He got 15.3 MB

With my desktop and the WiFi connection I get about 11 to 12 MB. I am using the WiFi connection from the D-Link router that was supplied by Verizon.

In the next weeks I will run an ethernet cable into the garage. Just need some time and to figure out what the best and less visbile way for the cable would be.

Thanks a lot so far. I will also try some of the tune-up links for the laptop you sent.