Suggestions for a Budget Computer

Aggr3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go sempron.. building a P4 based system is a little out of your price range.. i would highly suggest one build on the sempron or the older Athlon XP platform..  They way you can spend a little bit more in the graphic card dept.

$400 or less.

Thanks for the welcome

hey Dog and welcome to the forum :)

for that money, i suggest a second hand system

alot of gamers wants to have the very latest hardware so you should find alot of secondhand systems to a good price.

VanBuren :)

ok this is what I came up with..

Product Description  Unit Price  Savings  Total Price

Linkworld 3131-01-C5828U Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply - Retail

Model #:  3131-01-C5828U

$28.00

PC CHIPS M811LU Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT266A ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Model #:  M811LU

$25.99

Update JetWay 96XT-AD-256C Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Model #:  96XT-AD-256C

$85.00

Update AMD Sempron 2200+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model SDA2200BOX - Retail

Model #:  SDA2200BOX

$65.99

Update pqi 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model MD3412UOE-X2 - Retail

Model #:  MD3412UOE-X2

$45.00

Update Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #:  WD800BB

$52.00

Update Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical 967320-0403 Black PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM

Model #:  967320-0403

$31.95 -$7.00 Instant  $24.95

Update Rosewill Black IDE Combo Drive Model RB-321S BLK - Retail

Model #:  RB-321S BLK

In Stock

Remove Remove    Add item to Cart Add item to Cart

Total: 351.92 Add shipping.. Monitor and OS are still needed..

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=23319&pfp=BROWSE

460 after rebates. incl. 17" monitor.

maybe not as optimum as the custom stuff, but it includes the software, which is worth in this case around 200 bucks by itself. (xp home, works and smallfry)

and that is why the bundled box is the better budget system. :tongue:

i just checked the goodwill up the street...tons of stuff...even flat screen monitors...i'm tellin ya if ya want something to work on...you can get some pretty topline fairly up to date machines...like someone said...some people just have to have the very latest technology (which changes soon as you buy) ...everyone is suggesting all this new stuff...but i thought you wanted to learn the inner workings...used is the way to go. then ur talkin' around $100 bucks or less for everything

very cool.. *swimmer jumps in car and drives to check out new computer store, Goodwill.*

i've found that the full packages...are in the front of the store...seems anyway the stores i've been in the last couple of days...btw that flat screen was gone today :( printers and fax machs too) keyboards u name it...check back every few days til u see what u want (need) they all get new stuff daily.