Need some help with my comcast 6.0 speed

goblin24

HI, just want to thank all you guys for this great site. Anyways I just got comcast 6.0 last week. I live in miami, fl. near hialeah miami lakes. Anyways I've done several speed test on different sites and i'm getting anywhere from 3.6 to 3.0 speeds. If this keeps up i'm thinking of downgrading my service to 4.0 for ten bucks less. I will still be getting the same speeds i get now and be saving an extra ten bucks. Anyways my question is can i do something to get my speeds closer to the promised 6.0.. I heard about tweaking.. not sure what that is.. please help thxs again for the site and all the help you guys give..

I'm using a rca dcm425 thats what comcast gave me. i;m thinking of buying my own modem .. should i change to a motorola b1500.. do you think that might do a difference??

thxs.. will do just that. can u tell me wether chaning my rca dcm 425 modem to a motorola b1500 make a difference?? thxs again.. and now that i read the sticky notes what do you recommend i do first?? I'm running on windows xp pro. (hacked version of the internet) and i'm nowhere near 6.0 more like 3.3mbps thats a little over 50% my promised speed and most sources are telling me i should be able to reach at least 90 % of my promised speed.. please help.. any help will be greatly appreciated!! thxs agin!! :-P

i was looking through the sticky notes on the forum and saw that it says i should uninstall any protocols thats i dont need.. In my LAN connection-properties- general tab section. The problem is i dont know which ones i need and dont need can someone help.. I have the following installed . Client for microsoft network . File and pritner shatring for microsoft network. QoS packet schedualer . and Internet protocal (tcp/ip). thxs for the help!! ;) and sorry for all the bother :lol:

no i dont have a router just a rca dcm 425 modem comcast gave me.. should i switch to a motorola b1500.. will that make a difference?? and as a firewall i use the norton anitvirus.. i think it comes with a firewall.. i have the windows firewall disabeled... thxs for the help

I will post my results next time due to the fact that i'm having trouble with my comcast connection.. comcast says there looking into it.. might need a tech to go over my house.. this happened three days after getting service.. only two lights on my modem blink all the others are off tried powercycle thing and didn't work.. did it with comcast on the line still no work.. any ideas what it could be?? thxs again!! you guys rock!! :D

If not all your modem lights are staing on, then something is wrong with your connection. Sounds like to me it can't stay connected for some reason. I'd guess they messed up something when setting up your connection, possibly a filter or amp problem. Let us know how it turns out.

ok got the comcast tech to come over my house today.. and i got them to change my crapy rca modem to a motorola sb1520.. done a bit of tweaking and got my speed up from 3.3 to about 4.2.. still no 6.0.. anyways tried to lower my duplex to 10 half mode and it dropped my speeds to about 1.5.. so when i left it on 100mb full mode i got the 4.2.. i tried running the spybot and ad adware but it keeps freezing on me when i try to update it.. ANy ideas?? please help!! haven't ran ccleaner or cablenut yet because i still haven't scanned my computer with your recommended software because it keeps freezing.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4194 Kbps about 4.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 512 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Aug 11 00:15:12 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 75X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 6.66 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XF3VMW1YN