Xbox Live Latency

Fantazmx

alright,  I hope someone can help me out with this one.  I currently receive Adelphia Cable internet.  I first got it in May.  For the most part everything was alright .  Ummmm not too much lag maybe 1 out of 10  games some lag.  But over the past to weeks I can't seem to escape it.  I won't just lag though my connection will just drop.  From green (YAY) to red (What the Fu*k is going on)in under one second.  I've called adelphia numerous times but no one can seem to answer my questions or even detect a problem at all. So here i am stuck with some jacked internet and no help anywhere in sight.  Sooooo... any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

alright,  I hope someone can help me out with this one.  I currently receive Adelphia Cable internet.  I first got it in May.  For the most part everything was alright .  Ummmm not too much lag maybe 1 out of 10  games some lag.  But over the past to weeks I can't seem to escape it.  I won't just lag though my connection will just drop.  From green (YAY) to red (What the Fu*k is going on)in under one second.  I've called adelphia numerous times but no one can seem to answer my questions or even detect a problem at all. So here i am stuck with some jacked internet and no help anywhere in sight.  Sooooo... any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site, hope you like it and tell your friends. You could try tweeking your connection but I dont think that will help. I have delt with XBOX live before and I play PS2 online all the time. In my experience its usually the servers and not an individual connection. Do you use a router or a wireless connection. Give me some info on how you connect the xbox to the internet (hardware setup) and I can help. :D

Well basically i was running a router but i noticed that it slowed my speed so i removed it from the equation.  Now i just run the modem directly into the back of the Xbox.  Umm i don't really know what else i can put , the xbox is standard with no modifications of any sort.  I even upgraded the service from adelphia's basic to their premier service, which boasts download speeds up to 6 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 768 Kbps.  I upgraded the speed after i noticed the connection kept dropping but the change didn't help at all and to be honest before 2 weeks ago the connection was better with basic than it is now.  I can't really trace the problem back to any specific event.  Just out of the blue my connection went from couldn't be any better to wow is it time to get a new provider.  I've called adelphia as i said before and all they could tell me was "Everything seems to be running fine from here!!"                                                       

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for the fast response...

-Chris

you need to go to your cable modem's web page (something like is 192.168.100.1) and see what your Downstream Power level is.  If this value is positive you have a problem becuase this value should be zero or negative not positive.  Further, look at your upstream power level if this value is above 53 again you have a problem.  The value should be between 10 and 53 positive.  If these values are not what they should be you need to call your ISP and have them Modulate the line. 

I had the same problem and I am still waiting for Comcast to modulate my line but in the mean time 

I placed a splitter on the back of my cable modem and this helped.

Good luck,

compuworm

I had the same problem and I am still waiting for Comcast to modulate my line but in the mean time 

I placed a splitter on the back of my cable modem and this helped.

Was it a splitter or a booster?  From what I have seen and hear for the comcast dudes is that the more splitters you have on the line that goes to the modem the slower your speeds are going to be.  This is because the signal degrades everytime the connection is split.

As far as the lag issue.. if you ISP is having connection problem then it is their fault for the lag issue... my guess is that you ping is freaking high.. you might want to plug in a router and while you are playing a game ping some sites..  Also run a tracert to testmy.net..

It was a splitter as stated in the Reply.  Again, as stated in the reply I had the same problem and using the splitter helped bring down the high upstream and downstream values becuase of a poorly modulated line. 

You are otherwise correct though, adding multiple splitters will degrate one's signal but one is not a problem.  I added the one that I did to help stablize my ISP values and this significantly improved my lag.  Once the ISP line is fully moduled to the correct values I will remove the splitter. 

Again, though, I recommend this person  look at the cable modem up/down power values and if they are not what they should be contact his ISP and  requeat a line modulation further place a spitter on his cable modem in the mean time. 

Alright guys I'd like to try all of this but i don't really know what you guys are saying.  I'm going to need some more um...  basic instructions on how to go about checking my modem and pinging sites.  Sorry if that sounded lame but in all honesty I'm not quite the tech wizard...

I want to say this is just server lag, it happens less on xbox live than ps2 but it still happens alot. I have a fast connection and NEVER have any trouble with it but I get server lag all the time. Does this just happen every once in a while or alot. Does it get better, are others in the game seeing lag?

No, when my connection drops into red everyone else will still be in green connections.  Also whenever I get host around the same time I'm expecting my connection to drop instead of it just being me that drops to red everyone does.  Which means I'm causing everyone else to lag, right?

Also, this is all new to me up until 2-3 weeks ago it never happened.  I mean I'd get laggy games but never such a consistent drop in speeds and I even notice it when I'm downloading stuff too.  It's at a good speed at first then it'll slow to a crawl and then I'll either lag out or my connection will speed back up.

Since there aren't any good Xbox Live diagnostic tools, your best bet is to troubleshoot using a laptop or desktop machine.  Confirm you are getting your advertised speeds running speed tests here.  Run some tracert's to this location and others.  Spread the tracert's across various sites so you get a good picture of performance and latency. I'm betting there's an issue with your connection but maybe not.  Testing with a pc will give you some good data points to work from.

i know how to ping your xbox and see what i get and if there is packetloss.  aim me at eebobb if you want me to.  you just have to do a connection test and give me the ip.  if you wanna talk on XBL my gamertags are below  i have 5 xboxes and 2 services and lag sometimes too and have great pings but thats the internet.

OMG finally i get to help someone!

Go to your router setup page, enable MTU and type 1492 for the number then save settings and volla no more disconnects!

Thanks for the help you get 268 TestMy.net points. Let us know if this helps ya out. :D

well guys i think i finally might be getting my connection fixed.  Adelphia, after nemeruous calls, has finally agreed to come to my house (free of charge) and fix my upload power settings.  When I initially started this post compuworm told me to check out my modem power levels and my upload power was significantly higher than it should have been.  So after about 3 more phone calls to their technical support they're finally sending someone out to fix the power levels.  They're coming thursday.  I'll keep you posted to let you know if this helps.  If not i guess it's back to the drawing board but i got my fingers crossed... :? 

Thanks everyone for all the advice... and if adelphia's solution falls through i'll be sure to try the rest of your ideas for trouble shooting.

Thanks again,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

wow, thats cool i never knew my modem had it's own website (hehe)

anyway hows this look?

Name

WebSTAR DPC2100

Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

00:0F:21:31:F2:56

Hardware Version

v1.1

Software Version

v2.0.1r1142-0821(mdpc2100_v201r1142-0821a_091004.csg)

Receive Power Level

4.3 dBmV

Transmit Power Level

41.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status

Operational