Safe mode!!!!!

billybob12345

i have another computer that is stuck in safe mode...i attached a screenshot of the device manager...what do you guys think it is???  the computer runs on windows 98se    and it's a gateway 2000.... i haven't used the computer in a while and it starts in safe mode when i turn it on now... could it be the drivers or what....maybe the video card.....?  how do i tell.?

edit// i also forgot to add... i can't do any online checking.. it has no internet access to it...

i can't force it to boot up normally...i was told that i would have to reload the drivers off the disk..... .. or they also said. that i would need a new video card  :? this is why i don't use this computer... i will try to reinstall the drivers but it will take a while because it's not MY computer. the person that owns it may not have the drivers disk ... is there anything i can do untill i am told i can use the drivers disk.

i didn't have to wait after all....but anyways... good news:  now it's out of safe mode  :D

bad news: not really that bad... but the only resolution it recognizes...i guess i should say the only resolution it will stay in is 640x480 and 16 colors....but this is even when i have all the drivers and everything installed... what now  :?:   

wow...this must be a really annoying subject because of my questions.... sorry  :oops:

I'm probably more annoying to you .......lol  :)

:o  why....    :oops:    i think it's me more because i have no idea what the heck i was doing..you guys helped so far and at least it doesnt say safe mode on the corners now... so thanks for the help so far everyone...  :D

edit// still has problems... can't get better than 16 colors and 640x480 resolution

.....what to do now?

• 4 weeks later...

First go to system propertiesdevice managerdisplay adapter Highlight S3Inc. Savage4 then select properties.

select driver tab then update driver button.Then specify the location of the driver (advanced)

then Next button.Then display a list of all drivers in a specific location,so you can select the driver you want.

Then Next button then show all hardware.Highlight S3 under manufacturers & S3Inc. Savage4 under models then next.

you will get a warning box select yes there you will get the windows is ready to install box select next.then finish.

If you don't have the file on your os it will not finish.I have the updated driver for my display adapter in a folder

on C: you may have to get an updated driver from S3 but I think you already have that.You can browse to it on the floppy

disk if thats where you have it.after this you will need to restart but first remove both standard display adapter(VGA)

from the device manager.At least the screen shot showed these.

I would reccomend being XP is to do the system restore because if it is an internal problem(being inside windows) the problem the system restore should allow xp to automatically set the proper driver. I've had that problem in the past and after the 30 min restore I was able to get the right driver and everything was okay. My computer has been the best since 4 years ago no problems! If you need any help and want my advice just ask :)

Chris

Check to make sure the monitor is set correctly in device manager.  If its just using the generic plug and play vga monitor, you will only get low res out of it.  IF this is whats happening, set the monitor to the svga generic "driver" or find the ones for your specific monitor.  Good Luck!