Format Windows XP

pitbull481

Pitbull, this might be a dumb question, but did you try removing all partitions, reboot, then add the first partition but add a bit to the size?

yeah everything is deleted on both HDD's. i took both HDD out and installed one HDD to my other computer (dell) and i was able to install winxp without no trouble. and when i took the HDD back out and installed in my gateway, it worked than withing 5 mins computer shut off and turns on, or if i would go online withing 2-3 mins the windows error would pop out. than would just kick me out of the internet. i think my motheroard is f*cked up.  :angry5:

i'm just tired trying to fix it gonna take out both HDD's,  dvd player and dvd burner, RAM etc and just  install what i can on the DELL. untill i buy another pc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Fujitsu MAU3073NC 73GB 15,000 RPM 8MB Cache SCSI Ultra320 80pin Hard Drive - OEM $439

- Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JD 300GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $151

There's a HUGE performance difference... they're not even comparable.

to the kid who priced hdd's.......<snip>.........one is scuzzi the other is ata.....come on now......no wonder that scsi drive is more........jesus sorry php, but this place gets filled with more and more <snip> everyday....

sorry i cant help you though, everyone else has taken all the answers.....heh

no more namecalling, there is nothing cool about that and is not allowed here

just to let you guys know, my HDD are not the one with the problem. i installed the 120gig to my dell and installed the 80gig to my win98 compaq computer. gateway computer is the one with the problem

Yeah Pit, all I've ever done during a fresh install is delete the existing partition, and then just choose to install on the unpartitioned space. I've never created a new partition afterwards. I have only used full format a few times as I always select the (Quick) option. In doing so, problems have never occured. :)

Glad to hear that the HD's are working fine. :)

Hey Pitbull....

The only other thing I can suggest is that you clear the bios and or reset the defaults, or if there is a updated bios at gateway, get it and flash it, and make sure all cables are attached to MB securely.

Good luck bro...

how do i do that? never done that  :(

pitbull, it sounds like your winxp cd is faulty and/or scratched and you cant see it. trust me, 1 scratch on that cd can mess everything up.

my disk is not scratched. i put in the same disk in 2 different pc's and it went through (finish 100%). i also put in the dell's xp disk and it stopped at 77%. like i said before my gatway is the one with my problem. not my disk, hdd, etc.

Not sure anyone has suggested this but if you go to the disk manufacturers website you might find a bootable format and setup disk for your hard drive.  With this, you could just boot from floppy and may be able to avoid the whole xp boot/format issue altogether.   

Also, if no one has suggested it, try partitioning and formatting the drive with your other machine (as ntfs) and then re-install into your gateway then do a strait install without formatting at all with your gateway. 

You could also try formatting the drive as fat32 instead of ntfs, just to see if it will format the whole drive. 

(If I'm being redundant, just flame me.... I deserve it..... :)).