FormattinG??

duffman1234

It basically erases everything on your H.D.

How you format depends on what system you are going to put on it.

And you would only format if you plan on doing a clean install of your OS.

You would lose all files on your hard drive unless you back them up to a different H.D. or partition or CD.

Formatting writes a binary zero to each sector on each track of every track on each platter of a hard disk or other media.

Formatting doenst write zeros on each sector..  Formatting replaces the control structors.. basically making your drive feel like new but all of the data is still there.. There is just nothing connecting it all.  A Zero-fill utility is normally provided by the drive manufacture..

If you reformat you will start with a fresh copy of windows.. Nothing on it..

That might be a little confusing to him swimmer...

If you do a complete format, at that point there would be nothing on the hard drive that you could use or read all data files everything would be gone.

After formatting you would have to reload (install) a new operating system (Windows)

will i still have the windows folder that makes things work and stuff?

If i format do i have to make backups and stuff to put it on later?

And when i format it says "windows was unable to complete format"

What am i supposed to do with that?

thanks for ur replies

What version of windows are you running , and do you have a install CD for Windows

Also what are you trying to do ? is there a problem with windows now ?

Do you want to completly install a new system?

Guest helloimtim

A quick format can be done if xp is pre installed. The back up copy is on a diffrent partition and will not be erased. Do NOT use a 3rd party format program. Now if you have a dvd player and can get ahold of a copy of nortons 2003 you can do a reformat of your computer. Get it all up and running. Updated and just the way you want it. Then back that puppy up with nortons 2003. I do Not suggest useing the latest greatest version of ghost because the backup it makes will not boot. You have to use a 3rd party piece of software. Nortons 2003 is by far the best. Some one with a pre installed copy of xp can better explain the format process for you. You can also use the recover disks and if you dont have thoes Im pretty sure xp will make them for you.

how do i know if xp is preinstalled?

MY comp when it loads is slower than it used to be, when i put a static ip it gets a little faster but windows outlook express doesnt work becuase something with pop3 port doesnt work

Is there any way to make loading faster, i heard something about msconfig?

Guest helloimtim

Do you get the option of recover consol when you boot your computer. Says hit f8 When you boot for more options?  You can run msconfig. Go to start........run.......type in msconfig and you should get a option screen. Click the start up tab. That will show you what programs start when your computer starts. You can pick which ever ones you want to start when your computer starts. Myself I like this program.....http://www.windowsstartup.com  Which will pretty much do the same thing. There are severl ideas you can use to help speed up your computer. Personal I LOVE the program System Mechanic 5.  You can use it free for 30 days. If you like it you can buy a copy at your local wal mart stores. That program just rocks. I dont however use it to defrag my harddrive. I love perfect disk. System mechanic 30 day trial you can get at almost any major download site. Give system mechanic 5 a shot. Run that through your computer. By default it has never screwed up my computer. Just try all the diffrent options. Just Stay away from the tweaking and speed up your internet connection!!! WIth system mechanic. Leave that alone. Give all this a shot and let me know how it worked out.....