static iP?? router sometimes slow help

duffman1234

Hey,

My router is fine when i am on the computer alone, but when my brother is on and i think he downloads my ping in counter-strike 1.6 goes from 20 to about 150 and it keeps spiking

I am currently on Linksys BEFSR41 and i upgraded firmware.

I dont know what static ip is but i did it anyways but i dont know if its right or not, for the ip address in control panel do i put any ip address and it will work??

but when my brother is on and i think he downloads my ping in counter-strike 1.6 goes from 20 to about 150 and it keeps spiking

It makes me think that the QoS might not be set correctly..  The  BEFSR41 has QoS managment based on what port of the router you are on.. Your brother might have a higher setting meaning that he gets the bandwidth priority.  Try lowering his and raising yours. :lol: you can also set limits per port on the router.  So setting a 4mb limit on your port and 512k on his should be ok.. that means that you will get 2.5 and he will get 512k.. check this for configuration details in the user guide at linksys.com or the one provided in the box.