My PC is slower, should i format ?

just-

hi there guys

i have had my laptop from the suplier for about 7 months and i have not formatted yet.

i have install and unistall lots of crap and my PC is just not running like it was before, i know if i do a format and start installing stuff again i will not install all the crap i installed and unistalled and it will take another 6 or 7 months to get slower again.

what do u guys recommend i do?

what is svchost.exe that is always running in my PC and how can i decrease the number of svchost.exe running.

please don't copy past the description from a website, i want to know what i can do to decrease the number of them running

ho i just remembered to do a defrag maybe 1 month now i have not done one, should help a bit

guys you got any other optimizers/cleaner programs what do u recommend?

Your laptop could be running slower because you've been installing programs over these last 6 months so its bogging you laptop down. I would start with going to start,run,type msconfig, then uncheck anything that you dont need. If it looks pretty clean and you dont have to uncheck much then you should make sure your clean of viruses and spyware. If your laptop doesn't seem to run any faster then I would consider formatting. It just depends if you have time to reinstall windows, cause if you don't then you might have to live with a slower laptop for awhile.

I know you said don't paste websites , but I have a link to one that shows what services are safe to disable or set to manual, and that can decrease the number of thing that start when windows starts---------------> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

Also I have a program called regcleaner and it lists programs that are set to start when windows starts and you can turn them off with regcleaner, it can be done other ways but this just makes it real easy, and it backs up whatever you do so you can put it back if you want, let me know if you want to try that and I will post it here.......

To me there's nothing like a clean install of windows though, it just needs it evey once and a while.

Good luck....

Here is my rule of thumb.. ever 6 months i reformat.. It gets rid of old drivers, programs that I have uninstalled, and any other little things living in my computer.  Why didnt you start fresh when you first got the computer? how could you stand all of the extra crap installed.

Here is my rule of thumb.. ever 6 months i reformat.. It gets rid of old drivers, programs that I have uninstalled, and any other little things living in my computer.  Why didnt you start fresh when you first got the computer? how could you stand all of the extra crap installed.

yeah that is mine too normaly

and it does make a hell of a diff and keeps u tidy u need all the setups and stuff

but this time i have just been lazy and wanted to hear other people comments

just did the msconfig

i had done it when i got my pc 1st time and did it again

just removed 2 extra that were starting up

i use norton and it road shit loads of stuff in the background

so does mcafee they re no different

does any one have any benchmark of effectiveness of one against the other or anything like that?

As far as how much system resources each program takes?  I know for a fact that Nortan is the worst of all of them.  What I have read so far is that McAfee is slow and does take up some resources.  But Nortan is just horrid and really bloated.  Take it for what it is worth.