Compusa

pitbull481

Yes they do.

"Our in-store services are designed to give our customers complete support, from implementation to repairs to software and hardware upgrades. For over 10 years, our customers have come to rely on the benefits of using CompUSA not only for installations and repairs, but also for learning how to use technology effectively. For a location near you, call 1-800-CompUSA Option 5."

http://www.compusa.com/tech_services/default.asp

thanks guys for the info. im gonna have to take my gate computer to them since i cant reformat (i know how to reformat) keeps getting stuck at 77%, when my operation disk is saving files to HDD  :angry5:.

i have reformat pc's more than 10 times (not just mine) and i never had this problem til now  :angry5:

Make sure that they dont charge you for the time that they spent on it if they cant get it to work.. otherwise you have just handed people money for no work..  If i were you I would ask your employeers IT dept for any ideas before you go and let the geeksquad or some high school "tech" play around with it.

Guest helloimtim

Before you try that do this. Try to defrag  your harddrive. See if it defrags ok. If I was a betting man I am will to bet it will hang up as well. I dont think in your case your doing anything wrong. I am willing to bet you have a bad harddrive. It will not Reformat because it is finding bad sectors on your disk. As Cheep as harddrives are anymore it probally be just as cheep and easy and better to replace the harddrive and go from there. Just my 2 cents. You may also want to try to run scan disk and check for errors. I really think you have a bad harddrive.....

in fact, the checkdisk may be a good bet. find an old dos disk with chkdsk and run it with the option /f

otherwise use scandisk.

this should mark the sectors as bad and have the setup/format skip em. of course, if the bad sectors are due to a flake in the magnetic coating, the problem will propagate. good luck.

Just a note , agreeing to the previous few posts regarding the bad hard drive; it is certainly the problemmo, i would at least toss in a new 20 Gb system drive just to see...the 29.99$ drive will go farther than Comp USA's 95.00/hr tech fee...

-JxL

why would it mess up both HDD (80 gig that came with gateway and the 120 gig that i just bought this year)?  :angry5:

im gonna take out the 120 gig hdd and installed it on my other pc (dell) and see if that sucka works. if i am able to format winxp through my dell will i be able to take out the hdd and put it back on my gateway hmmm?

Guest helloimtim

If that does not work I wonder if your cd is bad?  That could be possible. Here is another suggeston. I assume your trying to format useing the xp cd. I also assume you have made sure there is no partion problems. You can try this. Force the reformat issue. Myself I use system mechanic 5. It has a handy dandy program that will format your harddrive. All ya need is a floppy disk. Works Great. Now in case you have a bad cd.  Here are a couple of ideas. Do you have a firend that has the same xp version as yourself? Use that only use your key. Or you could download it from the net and again use your legit key. Just trying to offer some ideas for you. Can you give me a rundown of what you have done? That may help. You can do this. Dont give up. In the process you will learn alot as well.

why would it mess up both HDD (80 gig that came with gateway and the 120 gig that i just bought this year)?  :angry5:

im gonna take out the 120 gig hdd and installed it on my other pc (dell) and see if that sucka works. if i am able to format winxp through my dell will i be able to take out the hdd and put it back on my gateway hmmm?

i did what i was gonna do. and it is went through. now its just installing windows and finalizing.  :D .be back and tell you what happens after i take out the HDD and install it back to my gateway. hopefully it works  :-|