Fios speeds a bit slow :(

hupp3l

I know for a fact something isn't right. Well I mean check out my speeds. I have the 15/2 plan. Please help me out.

Now im OKish with my dl speed cause I am useing a wireless G router(still my router should be going at 54 mb/s what the hell)

Upload is unacceptable. Please people help me out. I am willing to tweak a shitload.

BTW I am almost next to my wireless router. Well like 15 feet with 1 wall between us.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 11444 Kbps about 11.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1397 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:45:25 GMT-0700

Bottom Line:: 204X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.73 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (149.146)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KFJG3OBPZ

Now im OKish with my dl speed cause I am useing a wireless G router(still my router should be going at 54 mb/s what the hell)

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 969 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 118 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:46:36 GMT-0700

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 8.68 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 14.13 % faster than the average for host (149.146)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2IWZ6F9JE

These are speeds on a wireless connection?  I would suggest plugging in just to see what you get.  I have two computers that are wired to my router and get the full 15/2.  However, from my wireless laptop I only get 13/1.5 most of the time.  The distance that you are from the router will have a big affect on this too.  Also, what firewall (if any) and anti-virus software do you use?  There have been several reports that mcafee is causing slow downs.  Lastly, are you using a linksys wireless router?  There have also been reports that there are problems with these as well. 

For the upload I would recommend downloading Cablenuts (free) at;  http://www.cablenut.com/ 

You should use the following settings. https://testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=6746.msg64612#msg64612

That should help your upload.

these speeds are wireless. I did get 2 mb/s for my upload with my wireless. This is why I know something isn't right. I have windows firewall but even when I turn that off it doesn't make a difference. I have a D-link wireless router.

Im still getting like 1mb/s for upload. If I can get it to about 1.5 I would be content. And if I can push my download to about 13mb/s it would be great. I mean I am just about 15 ft from my router. with 1 wall between

Nah dude still awful slow...When I say slow I mean like under 10mb/s.

I dont think it has to do with fios itself but more my router. Please someone help me. And thanx fiosfriend so far for the help

Repeats question:  What router are you using?  Are you using the Verizon supplied Dlink 624 or other?

Run some tests directly connected to the 624 (wired).  If you are getting 15/2, you know the connection is fine.

If you aren't getting 15/2 from the wireless, try to test several wireless computers.  It may be a bad wireless card or seetings on it.  It could also be a bad router.

If you can't get things nailed down, call Verizon and ask for help.  If the router is bad, they'll replace it.  No worries.

man.........its not the wirless router u r only like 15 ft away,....................i am on wirless and my roouter that is giviing off the signal is downstairs on other side of house.........and i get same speed as downstairs.............definately not wirless router.

call tech support,.........

amc11890: What speeds do you get? Well my router had this setting where I can choose wether I wanted a turbo mode or shit like that. I turned it on yesterday. Today I turned it off again and my speeds are a bit better. Still not what Im paying for.

My download is like 11mb/s

my upload goes from 0.6mb/s to 1.2mb/s

Thanx you guys please keep sending suggestions

thanx

My suggestion is to put your connection back into the configuration that was installed.  I assume that's the di-604 wired router.  Verify the connection is 15/2.

After you've verified the connection is working as installed, or per the service definition, then you can look at adding on to it.  In your case, that probably means disabling the 624 dhcp server so that it is just a wireless access point.  Daisy chain the 624 to the 604.

So to clarify, you're saying the router you're using is the Dlink 624 wireless router that came with the FIOS package.  When you are running test from it via one of the wired ports, you get the expected speeds.  When you run wireless connected to it, your speed drops.  Is that correct?

The cause of the drop in speed is going to be on one end of the wireless link.  My suggestion would be to test several wireless computers or laptops to see if you get a good speed result from another wireless card.  If you do, then you know the router is ok.

If you test from several wireless machines and therefore several wireless card chipsets, then I'd start pointing the finger at the router and have Verizon come replace it, or prove it works.

I get 15-15.4 download and 1.5-1.8 upload out of any point on my wireless network.  I would not be happy with the speed drop you are seeing.

I also don't use the hardware you're using.  I've never had the Dlink 624 because I already have a wireless network and there was no need to add another router.  So at installation, I got the Dlink 604 router which has been in my drawer now for about 6 months.

My wireless network is really a mesh bridge to the LAN side of my infrastructure.  The access points I use are running in point-to-point and point-to-multipoint bridge mode.  Point-to-point is used to control which access points are allowed to connect to other access points.  This allows me to control the signal and coverage for my property.  The multipoint stuff is for client connections.

Someone else using the 624 is going to have to chime in on their performance.  I don't recall if you ever said you've tested from more than one machine.  If you have some friends with laptops that have the G wireless card, invite them over and run some tests. 

What machine make, model and wireless cards have you tested?

So what routers do you use? I also have a linksys router if that is any better. Is there a way that I can connect my two routers in one connection? would it be a good Idea?

I do have 2 other Pc's with Wireless. One uses a USB linksys wireless adapter(I dont think it is very good though), Mine is a Internal Dlink card. ANd then I have my laptop.

Can you explain more on point to point.

Thanx alot for your help. I really appreciate it.