DSL vs. cable

amc11890

Well I have verizon dsl 3MB. I have never had cable so I can only tell you what dsl is like and maybe somebody else can testify for cable.

Most dsl packages are $30 a month and at 1.5MB, I was lucky and qualified for 3MB. Overall i like dsl even though every now and then I run into a problem and have to call verizon which provides good customer service even though you may have to wait. Most cable is at least 4MB sometimes 5 or 6MB and is $40 or $50 a month. In my opinion, u should only get dsl if u can get 3MB because it would then be worth the price. If u can only get dsl wit 1.5MB, u should definitely get cable which can give u at least 2.5MB more for only and extra $10 a month. I think dsl is best because of the price only if u get 3MB. If u do a lot of downloading or play on xbox live or something and want exceptonal performance, u may want something. Since cable is $40 $50 a month, and u can get 15MB with verizon fios for $50 a month, I would get fios before I got cable anyway, but i dont qualify.

Most DSL IP's have a one year contract and most cableproviders dont. + 1 to cable

DSL and Cable run reasonable promos But usually cables lowest

package out performs DSL's lowest.                                                  + 1 to cable

You have to be close to a hub to get the high speed DSL package

with cable it doesnt matter where you are located                                + 1 to Cable

if your close to a hub you get really fast DSL. at my old place I had

SBC Yahoo DSL and was near a main hub my advertised upload was

386kb and download was 3mb I was hitn 510+ and 2.5 mb                  + 1 to DSL

if your in an area that offers Verizon FIOS its blazn fast, but expensive  + 1 to DSL

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp

You have to be close to a hub to get the high speed DSL package

with cable it doesnt matter where you are located   

15000 free for something that is going to be about as fast as cable.. 9000 for an 8mb connection.. both times it is fairly reasonable that you could be with in those limits..

I depends on what you are doing on the internet..  I have Comcast cable and love it.. it is fast and they upgrade the speed once every 1-2 years.  There are so many factors that can effect DSL service that most of the time people dont want to mess with it..  Line noise, distance to CO, and the fact that it isnt really a true always on connection..  You still need to dial up to get on the internet..  Most modems disconnect you from the service after a certain amount of inactivity.  Although if you put a router on the line it is possible to keep the connection live.. 

I have had CABLE, and DSL. They are both very good, and have there ups, and downs.

If you are going to be downloading and uploading alot of files, go with cable. If you are going to be surfing the web, going to lots of webpages, and gaming, get the fastest DSL line you can get.

Cable has a big speed advantage, in long term downloading. DSL Has a better burst download/upload rate, so thats why webpages load faster, and online gaming is better for DSL. When I had Adelphia 6mb/768kb my pings in battlefield2 where never lower then 80 in a us server, and never goes below 130 in a uk server. On my Bellsouth 3mb/384kb connection, my ping in battlefield2 never goes above 45, in a us server, and 60 in a UK server.

There you have it Cable better for massive and longterm downloads, DSL better for burst downloads.

Guest helloimtim

Personaly I prefer dsl. It offers a deticated more secure pipeline than cable. WIth cable you have to share and depending on what others are doing out on the net who are on the same connection it can really slow down your connection. Just my 2 cents

Personaly I prefer dsl. It offers a deticated more secure pipeline than cable. WIth cable you have to share and depending on what others are doing out on the net who are on the same connection it can really slow down your connection. Just my 2 cents

The only way you are going to dedicated dsl service is if you pay for it.. otherwise both services are the exact same.. think of it this way.. with dsl you are dialing in and then using the Telephone companies network of telco equipment to connect.

With Cable you are using the television's network to get to the service.. so both are not really deticated at all.. in the end you are just connecting to one big pipe that everyone shares..

Now if you wanted a dedicated line you are talking about SDSL.. which you cant use voice on at all.. so regular dsl is in no way dedicated..  Nor is cable.

here is a good little explaination:http://corp.bayarea.net/bayarea/dsltypes.shtml

DSL is slightly more dedicated then cable because with dsl you have a stright shot to the Dslam, whare as with cable your line is tied in with maby 100 other houses. Also DSL Has The advantage of working all the time, because when you loose your cable TV your internet goes out. Your never gonna loose your phone, because the dslam is self powered for 7-10 days. And even when the power goes out during a storm dsl will still work. For Example last year when we were hit by 2 hurricane's in Florida The power was out for a week from both. I had dsl at the time, my friend down the street had cable. we both had generators also. His interenet didn't work, mine did the hole week we had no power. Theirs a reason why DSL is better then cable.

DSL is slightly more dedicated then cable because with dsl you have a stright shot to the Dslam, whare as with cable your line is tied in with maby 100 other houses. Also DSL Has The advantage of working all the time, because when you loose your cable TV your internet goes out. Your never gonna loose your phone, because the dslam is self powered for 7-10 days. And even when the power goes out during a storm dsl will still work. For Example last year when we were hit by 2 hurricane's in Florida The power was out for a week from both. I had dsl at the time, my friend down the street had cable. we both had generators also. His interenet didn't work, mine did the hole week we had no power. Theirs a reason why DSL is better then cable.

I've had cable internet since '98 and cable tv for who knows how long. From what I can remember the cable only went out a few times when they were upgrading the lines for HSI. Other than that, my cable has never gone out.

My phone has actually gone out before. It was a problem on their end one of the times.

Even though it's a little more expensive I like cable (never had DSL). You don't have to worry about being a certian distance from the CO. And like another peroson mentioned, the speeds get upgraded about once every couple of years.

DSL is slightly more dedicated then cable because with dsl you have a stright shot to the Dslam, whare as with cable your line is tied in with maby 100 other houses.

Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer, a mechanism at a phone company's central location that links many customer DSL connections to a single high-speed ATM line.

The distrubition setup is different.. but that doesnt make consumer DSL dedicated. 

Your never gonna loose your phone, because the dslam is self powered for 7-10 days.

Never say never.. the only reason that you didnt loose your phone in the huricane is because all of the wiring is underground.. Plus your in atlanta.. So the chance that you service or utilites went down are very remote compaired to those in florida.  some like 85% of telephone wiring is above ground.  meaning that it is more likely to be lost in bad weather.  The other reason that you didnt loose you connection is that my guess is that you has some t1 or some other technology that had a garuentee on it about up time.

It is magic.. or atleast that is where your ip is registered..

With cable you line comes from The CMTS to another, then another and so on, then back to the CMTS.

As far as i know you can not daisy chain CMTS together.. it is to the CMTS then right to the ISP..

Guest helloimtim

I had almost forgot as well. It seems generally speaking xp is tweaked pretty sweet for dsl.  Most that try to tweak dsl only find there connection get slower. Now I am sure there are exceptions for this rule. I have yet to have really seen in positive improvement with dsl on xp trying to tweak it out. But that does not mean its not possible. I also disagree on you can have cable any place. Im just to far away at this point to really get decent cable. I live in an upstairs apt. The drop and distance to the box is just to far. I will say with cable you can tweak it and get some really killer speeds out of it.

I live in Central Oregon and we have a cablr provider who want's $43 for for cable modem service that's 3mbps down / 900 kbps up.....then we have various DSL providers. I went with a DSL provider that gives me a 8Mbps down / 1.5 Mbps up speed for $49 per month. So it definitely depends on where you are at and what the competition is like. Also Cable is shared via Nodes...you can have 5-300 homes on the same node. The modem service got bogged down so much on some days that it was at almost ISDN speed. With the DSL i've never had that problem because it goes from my modem directly to the DSLAM and then out via another dedicated connection...each DSL user is basically their own node and they don't share that node with 300 other users.