2 cable modems

Svahad

2 cable modems Comcast  

9 members have voted

1. 1. 2 cable modems Comcast

• Normal
    • other

Does Comcast allow you to run 2 Cable modems???

I have a dual Xeon server at the house with 3 lan Jacks 2x100mb 1x1000

Am running win2k3 server...can i aggrigate the 2 connections? I can setup the server as the router.

Is this possible?? How much? would it be worth the extra bs?

Not planning on using the server Online. I have it for my personal stuff... Pics Movies Software mp3's on demand to living room and bedroom

Just Curious what you guys have for input

Currently my speedtest thru NY test server

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 8047 Kbps about 8 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 982 kB/s

Tested From:: http://s121815182.onlinehome.us

Test Time::

I am not sure why you would want to have dual Comcast connection if it isnt going to be a online server.. in stead of spending on getting 2 lines.. which i think is what you have to do.. atleast 2 accounts..  spend the money on making your system ondemand for the rest of the house..    My guess is that is going to require a thin client of some type to give you sound and video out..

I have a dual Xeon server at the house with 3 lan Jacks 2x100mb 1x1000

Am running win2k3 server

if you have that type of equipment at your house and you want a connection i would suggest looking into t1.  That way you can host if you want to and not void the TOS..  Is this a rack mount server?

First, one post is enough, if it was accidental, then OK.

Second, I am sure Comcast won't allow a second modem on the same account, you could BS them with a different name/address, etc.

But, how often will you need 15-16mbps connection?

Most anything on the net now you can't download much above 5-6mbps, with a few exceptions obviously.

I say it is NOT worth the hassle or price, although it is possible.

Can't you purchase additional ip addresses for a few bucks a piece?

Yes

Comcast support page:

How many IP addresses do I receive with the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?

Comcast provides and authorizes 1 dynamically assigned IP address per residential High-Speed Internet account. You have the option of purchasing up to 4 additional IP addresses, for a total of 5 dynamic IP addresses

Yes

Comcast support page:

How many IP addresses do I receive with the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?

Comcast provides and authorizes 1 dynamically assigned IP address per residential High-Speed Internet account. You have the option of purchasing up to 4 additional IP addresses, for a total of 5 dynamic IP addresses

I thought I read that somewhere. Thxz netmasta.

Hey Svahad, even if you purchase additional ip addresses, Comcast will still charge you as having a new package being that you will be using a seperate cable modem. Entering a new mac address/serial number into their database for a completely different modem will be giving you the same speed on two different lines. Comcast will, in turn, charge you double.

The purpose of purchasing additional ip addresses seems to be geared towards the use of a router/hub. The connection will be shared. For example, when using a router, the cat5 cable that normally runs from your cable modem into your NIC will be connected into the 1 x 10/100Mbps WAN Port on the router. In turn, the 4 x 10/100Mbps LAN Ports will become active for connection. Of course, you will run the first option to your PC. The second, third, and fourth option can be for whatever else you want to connect to the internet. Sometimes, there's a catch. Depending on the router you have (some are more advanced than others), your ISP won't allow you to have multiple connections going at the same time. Some people have to literally unplug the cable that runs to the PC in order for another device to gain access to the internet. Purchasing multiple ip addresses fixes that.

Anytime you connect to a different ethernet port (eg. using a different NIC on you pc, or connecting to a game console's ethernet port), a different ip address will be issued. On the router, having the PC connected through it will be using your 1 dynamically assigned IP address. Connecting another device at the same time will cause a conflict and it will not establish a connection without kicking the other device off first. Additional ip addresses will be required.

• 1 month later...

I have Comcast, and I have 5 additional IP addresses for a total of 6, but they do not offer it anymore. If you didn't get it when it was offered you cant get it now.

Yeah, that was offered with the Pro Package. I had that setup for 2 years. I dropped it once the Enhanced Speed Package came out as it offered the exact same speed for a lower price (minus the additional ip addresses).

The Enhanced Speed Package went from 4000/384 to 6000/768 after the first upgrade, and now from 6000/768 to 8000/768.

The Pro Package (which is now classified as a business package) went from 4000/384 to 5000/512 after the first upgrade, and now from 5000/512 to 6000/768.

See here: Comcast Pro Info

• 2 weeks later...

You can have two cable modems at one residence.  Sales will argue you can't or will need two coaxial cables but HSI will tell you one coax can handle two cable modems just fine.  However, the Comcast computer only allows 1 HSI account along with a cable TV.  You'll need to have sales create a 2nd account for your home, usually called an X2 HSI account.  So you'll get two bills for your residence.  One first TV & the original HSI and a 2nd bill just for the 2nd HSI account.  They'll do it, but lower level phone reps won't know how to do it or they'll argue you need 2 coaxial lines into your home when you don't.  I had to threaten to get a WISP for a 2nd line before sales would create the 2nd HSI account all by itself.  The 1 HSI per account and only 1 account per address is their usual argument but it's not true.  Many Comcast markets regularly use the X2 HSI separate account billing while other Comcast markets don't train their reps about it.  Nonetheless, I have 2 cable modems using Comcast on 1 coax and it works just fine.