Old Windows 95 causes disconnects?

Guest PeePs

Hey, I have 3 computers networked at my house, and on weekends my bro comes home with his laptop to make it 4. 1 has Windows XP, 1 has Windows 98, and the last has Windows 95. My internet connection works fine and never really disconnects, but then someone goes on the old Win 95 computer, and i start getting disconnects from AOL IM, and IRC on both the other computers. The wierd thing is when it disconnects me on AOL IM while im playing a multiplayer game it only disconnects AOL, and not the multiplayer game. Sometimes it will disconnect me from AOL like 4 times a minute while someone is browsing the internet on the Win 95 machine. Anyone have any suggestions that dont involve purchasing anything or upgrading the POS! lol. Oh yeah, i have a Linkseys wireless router, but all the computers (except my bro's laptop) are wired to it.

Win 95 isn't really user/network-friendly.

Just for S's & G's, I'd first make sure you have virus protection on that thing (with updated signatures) and do a complete scan. It sounds like it might be flooding certain stuff on your network...just a thought.

Another thing you might want to try doing is uninstalling the network adapter and then reinstall it. If you're running a router at home, try putting in the address statically (instead of relying on DHCP from the router).

As mentioned previously Windows 95 wasn't really built for networking, but I've been in places where it was running on many machines without problems. It does sound like some type of port flooding activity which is unusual.

If you are using additional network services on the Win 95 box, I'd actually get rid of them if possible (file and print sharing for microsoft networks etc). Make sure you don't have any stupid protocols like IPX/SPX loaded by mistake. If memory serves me, all you should have under network neighborhood properties, is:

tcp/ip

client for microsoft networks

and the particular adapter

ty for the replies, and i know win 95 isn't really ment for networking, but its my dad's old work computer. Plus its good for just browsing the internet and talking on AOL :D.

Since my question is related to this one and I don't feel like making a new thread, I'll go ask my question over here.

There are two computers on one router that has no throttling options whatsoever. One has WinXP, the other Win98SE.

Whenever the computer with WinXP accesses the internet it gets a higher priority than the one with Win98. Meaning, If I'm gaming I see my ping skyrocket to more than 2 seconds. If I'm on the net it takes ages for pages to load. I'f I'm downloading the download speed drops to nil.

A nephew with the same router doesn't have these problems, and all the computers on the network there have WinXP.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it without upgrading windows?

RTB,

I'd just be interested to know if the same held true if you put another machine on the line besides for the Win98 box.

I initially thought it may have something to do with the service on XP (QOS Packet Scheduler)...but after looking at that I don't think that's the case...although there's always a possibility.

On the 98 box you should be able to do a netstat -a from command line and see all of the open connections on the box. Look for anything odd that doesn't add up, especially if you aren't doing anything online at the moment. There's a possibility that there's extra crap running on the 98 box that is bogging it down? :shrug

Nah, just simple downloads with IE. But even browsing causes major slowdown...

unstable: before restarting the netstat showed quite a few connections open, and after the restart none. I doubt spyware is the problem, unless it's on the new computer.