ntfs hdd question

Hi. I had Windows XP and 98 installed and re-installed a couple of times on my new pc, but the last time i had to re-install windows, the OS installed didn't show one partition (main one -> C: ). I think I installed windows on a new partition (E: or something) and then deleted all the old windows OS files from the old partition, but I may have manually deleted the old OS system files before installing the new ones from the command line with the rescue disk, because I don't trust reinstall (good old manual delete and install works every time :D).. My question is why the OS installer and the command line program (using the system rescue diskette) didn't show all of the partitions of my hard drive when all of it is formatted as ntfs.. Is this related to the file system type (of each partition or all of them) or if it is because of something else.. Thanks in advance for any replies.. ;)

hey raptors892004 :)

Windows 98 dosent read NTFS and wont find the partitions, however windows XP read em both, so if you need to reinstall windows 98, you need to first convert a partition to FAT32

just put win XP cd in your cdrom, shut of the pc, start the pc up and hit "del" key so you can enter bios, in  bios you should be able to change boot sequense, so instead of floppy beeing first boot device you set your cdrom to be it. Save changes and exit, now restart PC and you can start windows XP installer from cd. Just follow instructions and when you see a option where to put XP on the hardrive, choose to delete the partition that you like to convert to FAT 32, now you can see unallocated space there instead, click add partition and make it FAT32. When thats done, just exit or shut off the PC.

Now you should be able to find that partition with win 98 OS installer and the command line program.

remember when you installed win 98 you cant see the other partitions, so if you want to run both Win 98 and Win XP, then convert all partitions to FAT32

if you wnat to run dual boot, then make sure to install Win 98 first, then win XP installer will fix the boot

VanBuren :)

The problem occurred when I tried to install Windows XP on the hard drive.. The hdd was already ntfs converted from before and the OS installed didn't recognize one of its partitions (C:).. I may have deleted manually the old system files after installing the new OS and editing the boot settings file for single OS boot to occur.. I am pretty sure that I didn't reformat that particular partition (C:).. On my other pc, I had the same problem.. I couldn't even switch to the C: partition from the command prompt before installing the new OS.. It said there was no such partition, and didn't even list it afterwards in the OS installer.. That's just a problem I had (not a current problem).. Any suggestions to this strange situation or answers why this happened would be appreciated.. :)