It's not so good

Weymaster

I just joined Shaw and got the High Speed plan (advertised as up to 5 mb and 100x faster than dial up) but most of the time I get less than 1 mbps.

I contacted the support through mail and they answered (3 days later) that they checked my modem and that it was OK and asked me to send results from the test. I did and been waiting for an answer for the last 3 days.

Overall bad experiencie for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I just joined Shaw and got the High Speed plan (advertised as up to 5 mb and 100x faster than dial up) but most of the time I get less than 1 mbps.

I contacted the support through mail and they answered (3 days later) that they checked my modem and that it was OK and asked me to send results from the test. I did and been waiting for an answer for the last 3 days.

Overall bad experiencie for me.

I got the same thing from them. And it's always you, never them. Sometimes I get speeds off the charts but for only a few minutes during the day. The rest of the time I can hardly maintain a connection to the internet. Forget speed. This is pretty much what I get on average. Waaaaay below what they advertise. Used to be I had highspeed internet from Rogers that got me a lot more speed for a lot less $$.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1424 Kbps about 1.42 Mbps (tested with 3072 kB)

Download Speed is:: 174 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 90 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 11 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2010-04-05 04:46:12 GMT

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KTYUFGJM9

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6X1W7M2QC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 [!]

I got the same thing from them. And it's always you, never them. Sometimes I get speeds off the charts but for only a few minutes during the day. The rest of the time I can hardly maintain a connection to the internet. Forget speed. This is pretty much what I get on average. Waaaaay below what they advertise. Used to be I had highspeed internet from Rogers that got me a lot more speed for a lot less $$.

I've kept reading peoples postings over the years of over subscribed nodes and speeds that just suck on Shaw. Some areas are fine. I guess it depends on the importance of certain people or business's in the area.

One thing to make sure of on your cable Internet line is too make sure that your modem is first on the cable line and then any splitters go after it to avoid degrading your line inside the house. So don't have your cable modem on the end of 3 splitters down the line.

Sometimes you will have to go into the gray box on the side of the house to check and fix if needed.

Edited by zalternate

• 6 months later...

I've kept reading peoples postings over the years of over subscribed nodes and speeds that just suck on Shaw. Some areas are fine. I guess it depends on the importance of certain people or business's in the area.

One thing to make sure of on your cable Internet line is too make sure that your modem is first on the cable line and then any splitters go after it to avoid degrading your line inside the house. So don't have your cable modem on the end of 3 splitters down the line.

Sometimes you will have to go into the gray box on the side of the house to check and fix if needed.

I'm getting Shaw next week, because Telus is unable to provide me with a better upload speed (greater than 400kbps).

Shaw will do (they say 1mbps) for $15 more per month after the 6 month period. No contract, but a cancellation fee if I choose to disconnect... which i'm fine with.

• 5 years later...

Had an intersting chat with Telus yesterday. Of course they blame the speed problems on the user, but getting  2.4 down on a  15 mb connection was a little to much. The service rep said the speed we have subscribed to was up to 15 mb down. When we told hime that every since we added a WII to our home wireless network our consumption went from 80 to over 200 gb download, so we had to opt in for the unlimited package. I work in the industry and I strongly feel that they pull the wool over their subscribers eyes and they overcharge for all their packages. I'm looking a local internet service company that provide an inexpensive fibre connection in the Vancouver/ Burnaby area. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks, Tom

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=12272015&x=10000&l=25&q=2124592428

Edited by mudmanc4
Graph History

We retested our internet to other test mirrors,. Today we are getting 6.1 to 6.4  on what is suppose to be a 15 mb down connection. Just running 1 laptop on a wired connection to the router, so there shouldn'tbe any traffic coming from our local network. Can I install some kind of test utility that will monitor bandwidth consumption on our local network and how much we are drawing from our internet thru the router? Thanks.Tom

15 hours ago, macmaster2 said:

We retested our internet to other test mirrors,. Today we are getting 6.1 to 6.4  on what is suppose to be a 15 mb down connection. Just running 1 laptop on a wired connection to the router, so there shouldn'tbe any traffic coming from our local network. Can I install some kind of test utility that will monitor bandwidth consumption on our local network and how much we are drawing from our internet thru the router? Thanks.Tom

There are many forms of logging, however to get the most accurate results, a stand alone appliance is most useful. A device which lives between the modem and the internal network. Such as a router or firewall with such capabilities.

If you have an older machine laying in the closet with two network cards, you could use pfsense , and delete your current router. Unless of course it is combined with the modem, then the firewall would be placed on the inside of the modem/router, or LAN. Pfsense has all the features that would answer the questions you are asking.
If you are interested, I would be more than glad to assist you getting everything setup here on the forum.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Dedek said:

Anybody knows how is Telus comparing to Shaw in the internet speed 

Here is the data for Shaw Communication at testmy.net

https://testmy.net/host-history/shaw_communications

Here is the data for Telus at testmy.net

https://testmy.net/host-history/telus_communications

Complete Data for Telus at testmy.net

You can find charts for each provider, by going to 'Database Lookup'

You can also search many variables between providers, rank, end user or member rank.