Computer Problem

Bird Fan

You could also try chkdsk /r in recovery console, it may repair the errors on your drive.

Just boot to your WinXp Cd and go to recovery console, choose the OS you are having a problem with (usually you will only have the one) and press enter, then it will ask for ADMIN password, if you never had a password just leave blank and hit enter.

At the prompt  TYPE :" chkdsk /r "and enter. itmay take a while.....good luck  ;)

You could also try chkdsk /r in recovery console, it may repair the errors on your drive.

Just boot to your WinXp Cd and go to recovery console, choose the OS you are having a problem with (usually you will only have the one) and press enter, then it will ask for ADMIN password, if you never had a password just leave blank and hit enter.

At the prompt  TYPE :" chkdsk /r "and enter. itmay take a while.....good luck  ;)

I ran that a few times when my computer was working. It froze every time when it was on step 5 "cleaning up process" at 71 %.

Do you know what brand name the H.D.is ?

If so you might want to get their utility and run a diagnostic and see what it says.

Also if the utility has the option write zeros to the entire drive then run diagnostic again.

If that doesn't fix it then I would say a new H.D. is your final option.

Maybe try H.D. in a different PC if possible, see if you can format it without problems there, that would at least let you know whether it's the H.D. or possibly the MB.

Sounds like your HDD is shot. Anytime I see an error code with 'msg:block' it's an indicator that there is physical damage to your HDD. Since you have a Dell and it's more likely an OEM OS, you can run your factory restore disk or you can go to Dell's website and look for a HDD utility that is strictly for HDD's in Dell computers and match that to the model you are using. If your still under warranty, order a replacement HDD and they'll (Dell) should send you a new HDD.

TheHalf

I ran that a few times when my computer was working. It froze every time when it was on step 5 "cleaning up process" at 71 %.

lol  same thing happen to my gateway computer. i cant reformat it. i tried more than 10 times and it  always stops at 77%. good thing i have a second pc. but im still pissed since i cant fix my gateway  :angry5:

Guest kamil234

lol  same thing happen to my gateway computer. i cant reformat it. i tried more than 10 times and it  always stops at 77%. good thing i have a second pc. but im still pissed since i cant fix my gateway  :angry5:

kick it a few times and see if it works :)

lol just kiddin

take it apart and put it back together, maybe some of the parts are partially disconnected

Update:

It's a hard drive problem...My dad's laptop did the same thing. There's a weird noise coming from where the hard drive is.

He's going to call Dell tomorrow (or tonight), he thinks it's still under warranty, so he's just going to be able to get a new one from them.

yeah i was going to say.. that hard drive is on its way out.. My experince with dell replacing part has been a good one.. a keyboard, wifi card and power brick.. all not a problem and overnight shipping <- I had to really work for that!!  they will not offer it!!

As far as the drivers go.. get the computer up and running.. then just visit dell's website.. however, if you are

need graphic drivers get them from the manufacture!! dell's video drivers are really old!!  the best bet would be to create your own driver cd with the latest drivers..