Speeed issues with Comcast

Hi, I have been having speed issues with Comcast for a while now. I have called up their technical support atleast 10-12 times in the past 2 weeks and have received responses that I should check my PC. I am quite positive its not my pc as I have other machines that are facing a similar issue and I have plugged them directly into the cable modem. Here are the test results for my download speed. I have had Comcast tech's come to troubleshoot and have gone back saying they don't see any problems and to call back and ask for a Sr. Tech. Its a bit upsetting. Can someone please advise on how to go about trying to have them fix this issue. They refuse to transfer me to Tier 2 technical support. The people I speak to only tell me that my cable modem levels look good and there is nothing that they can do.

Hi, I have been having speed issues with Comcast for a while now. I have called up their technical support atleast 10-12 times in the past 2 weeks and have received responses that I should check my PC. I am quite positive its not my pc as I have other machines that are facing a similar issue and I have plugged them directly into the cable modem. Here are the test results for my download speed. I have had Comcast tech's come to troubleshoot and have gone back saying they don't see any problems and to call back and ask for a Sr. Tech. Its a bit upsetting. Can someone please advise on how to go about trying to have them fix this issue. They refuse to transfer me to Tier 2 technical support. The people I speak to only tell me that my cable modem levels look good and there is nothing that they can do.

vik, all I know is that about 2 or 3 weeks ago my download speed dropped. I think Comcast did something on their end to get ready for the 6 Mbps upgrade. I returned the rental and bought the SB 5120. I read on another forum that the SB 4100 was giving others problems.

I would call Comcast tech support If I were you.

Donald

Hi Donald,

Thx for your help. Did you get the modem from comcast or did you purchase it retail. I have tried tech support numerous times and honestly they are the worst. I got someone who did not know what msec meant or how to pronounce it. At the same time all I keep hearing is "Everything is good on our side it must be your PC". Please let me know how you got the modem and I shall give it a shot. Hopefully it helps because I am really frustrated at this point. Looking for another ISP and hopefully soon enough I will have FIOS. Thx

I am using a Thompson RCA modem from Comcast. I got a replacement modem from the Comcast local office 2 weeks ago. Same issue continues. Do you think it could be a problem with that and would they assist? Thx

Welcome to The Forum vik and Donald  :hello:

i would dump RCA and get the motorola sb5120. it will get speeds right or close to you advertise speeds

Hi Donald,

Thx for your help. Did you get the modem from Comcast or did you purchase it retail. I have tried tech support numerous times and honestly they are the worst. I got someone who did not know what msec meant or how to pronounce it. At the same time all I keep hearing is "Everything is good on our side it must be your PC". Please let me know how you got the modem and I shall give it a shot. Hopefully it helps because I am really frustrated at this point. Looking for another ISP and hopefully soon enough I will have FIOS. Thx

I bought it from Best Buy, but it was not cheap. About $80. Yes the FIOS box is right outside my house here in Reston, VA. Even if I do not choose to use it, it will be good competition.

Hi Guys,

Appreciate the help. Another observation that I think is of relavance over here is that I think the slow speeds started only after we ordered the DVR package from comcast. They didn't deliver the DVR's for about a week but I started noticing slow response since than. Can't really confirm that but I am pretty sure. But what I did was I took the cable modem directly to the cable coming from comcast instead of via the in-house network and I still noticed the slow speed. The person who was supposed to come to the house to check the issue last weekend did say that he noticed that the account wasn't setup right. He said he fixed the issue and he also said that the connection box wasn't split. I can't think of how without even coming to the house they split the connection. Do they do this at the headend? I shall get the SB5120 this weekend to see if that resolves the issue. Another question I had was since now I am purchasing the cable modem would I need to call them up to have them change the Mac address of the modem on the account or do I just connect the new modem and disconnect it and connect it back up. Please let me know. Thx

I shall get the SB5120 this weekend to see if that resolves the issue. Another question I had was since now I am purchasing the cable modem would I need to call them up to have them change the Mac address of the modem on the account or do I just connect the new modem and disconnect it and connect it back up. Please let me know. Thx

yes you gonna have to call Comcast to register your new modem. they'll ask for brand, modem, and i think mac address

hi vic

pls see my post in the 'a new cable modem can make a difference' thread regarding comcast csr service and them having our account set up incorrectly after swapping out modems (upgraded from 4100 to 5120 and it most definitely made DL go way up)

***make sure when you talk to tech support that they have removed your old modem/account information*** because i'm here to tellya, if they didn't it will about halve your speed.

best of luck!