Unknown device needs driver?? please help!

goblin24

hey guys need help looking for a driver but i dont even know what the driver is for.. please help!!

heres what i got, let me know what other information i can get you. thxs again!!

:?

Device Manager

?other devices

?!unknown device

unknown device properties

device type: other devices

manufacturer: unknown

If you guys can tell me what this is i shouldn't have a problem looking for the correct driver... Thxs a million!! ;)

It looks like a USB controller.. my guess is that you have USB 2.0 as an option but you never installed the driver... If you tell me the motherboard model i can get you the drivers for it.. I have the 845 drivers right now.. however, i dont want you to use drivers that are not for your motherboard..

I have an 855PE motherboard for an Intel Centrino based laptop.  as you can see my LPC conroller is the same as yours and the USB runs off that controller.. the reason that I think it is the usb 2.0 with out a driver.. is because until last night i had an unknown device which happened to be my usb 2.0... installed the driver... and now my external hard drive is much faster.. 12mbps comparied to 480... just a little bit of difference..

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177

scroll to the bottom.. and click one of the download links.. then install the program.. and run the motherboard information program..

to take a screen shot press prnt scrn.. then open a graphic program and paste.. it should have what ever you have on your screen..

Not a problem...  we will get you all fixed up shortly.. i am in the chat under tech..

If it is a USB controller and your PC has SP1 or above, then usually all you have to do is go to properties for the unknown device and update driver and choose to automatically find driver.

If you don't have SP1 or 2, you will want to install that first and then follow above procedure.

I take it you have WinXP ? do you have SP1 or SP2 installed yet ?

The reason I ask is because I have seen that on a few computers and after installing SP1 or 2 it found it as a SMBus controller, but if you already have the service pack installed it's going to be difficult to figure out.

Also have you tried windows update and checked for new hardware drivers there ?

Another thing would be to take your driver install disk that came with the laptop and put it in your CD Drive and then go to device manager and double click the unknown device go to drivers and update driver and point the way to your CD Drive with the OEM driver disk and have it search through that.

You might want to go to this page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=423776&lang=en&cc=us&os=228 and look through the list of drivers and compare to what you have in your device manager to see if something is missing that you know is on your laptop, also it wouldn't hurt to download the Intel chipset installation utility and run that on your system and restart PC after, it might make your system identify the unknown device.

Hopefully something here will help..... let us know....good luck man.

yes i have sp2 installed and i have tried updates.. didn't work.. dont have the original disk that came wit hthe computer.. Im sre that if i just knew what hardware the computer needed the driver for it would be easy to find.. I just need to know what the hardware is?? i guess it sounds easier than what it really is.. thxs anyways ;)

Hey guys try this one go to msconfig and stop every thing but what is needed to startup (i.e.) antivirus, explorer,ect,ect :D hope this works and then you can start back wards loading the programs until you get the error again,    Fred :idea:

Hey guys try this one go to msconfig and stop every thing but what is needed to startup (i.e.) antivirus, explorer,ect,ect :D hope this works and then you can start back wards loading the programs until you get the error again,    Fred :idea:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what error?  This is a missing driver...

OK excuse me I didn't quite read it right, the problem is in the device manager I am sorry for not understanding what I was reading I had a brain Fart :oops: any way maybe uninstall it in the safe mode and boot it back up again and it will try to reinstall, at this point it will tell you it has found new hardware and maybe you can get a better idea of what it is from this point, and again sorry for not paying attention