AHHHHHHHH OMG

electricbroadband

the problem would be distance and frequency.. Also i am not sure when they introduce the networking compenent.. cause you have to step up the power for transmission and then step it down for the house.. so I am not sure on the technical details.. 265kb up/down isnt all that impressive..

the problem would be distance and frequency.. Also i am not sure when they introduce the networking compenent.. cause you have to step up the power for transmission and then step it down for the house.. so I am not sure on the technical details.. 265kb up/down isnt all that impressive..

It is to those who are stuck on dialup/direcway!

It's actually interesting that they are talking about doing this now...my pops of all people mentioned this possibility many many years ago.

:) Yeah,

This is an idea that has been talked about for a long time , the first time I heard anything about this it was in reference to using it for phone lines which I think has been done(testing stages) there are so many un-explored options out there and its some peoples job to sit around and think this stuff up...... We used to have meetings that were called brainstorming which all kinds of weird ideas were thrown around the room..... there were times that it was very cool and times when ......well it was just plain boring......lol

8) Microwave

Trials have already been carried out. Unfortunatly most power lines don't perform well over 50-60 Hz and they run the data at large bandwidth with frequencies up to about 30MHz so signal leaks out of the cable as a radio transmission. Cable providers also have leaks and every few years fly planes over their plant area (a whole city or whatever) and take pictures with special cameras that detect leaks... then go to the areas with the leaks and make repairs to 'patch' the leaks.... when you plug a cable into the wall.. and don't have the other end pluged into anything radio signals are just flowing out the other end ;-) [i was part of the leak tea for Cox in phoenix in 2000 - it's a large project, and a pain in the ass] ANYWAY --- The trials have shown that the leaks are pretty bad and cause problems with short wave radios that operate at these frequencies.

I don't think an actual product will ever come available, though it is possible... it's just not smart with all the other broadband options out there ;-)

:idea::idea: By the way... if your cable company also has phone service they have power on their cable line... 90 volts at 60 Hz usually, 90 volts is still pretty damn strong, I got hit with it once when I was working in the rain also back in 2000... good thing I hit it with the back of my hand otherwise my hand wouldn't have been able to let got of the wire ;-) --- don't worry though, once it gets to the ped it is taken off the coax and transfered to a lead that runs with the drop... and does not enter your home :P

I can't remember what the amperage is... but yea... volts aren't what kills ya, it's Amps -- well watts actually

for instance you can take a 200,000 volt jolt at 0.000000000000000000001 amps and not even feel it... take 1 volt at 150 amps and your ass is dead ;-) (well actually your whole body is dead.. not just your ass :P)

(volts*amps) = watts [which is what kills you in the end.. the END power output]

:) Yeah CA3LE RFI is one of the biggest problems that most people don't know about ,and affects all kinds of systems,TV,police radios,cell phones,electronic phone systems,airplanes,etc.etc even your (hard wired)phone lines have RFI, and you are right about phone lines I was a phone tech for many years and 90 volts 60 cycles (very little amps) does get your attention.In the army and when I worked for Ma Bell when we caught a guy sleeping we stuck tip,ring in his ear.....LOL ouch and I cant remember how many times it happened to me,but its usually only a problem during a ring cycle(2 seconds on 4 seconds off) but I still got pissed every time.... I guess its the surprise of it......LOL

8) Microwave

Is the 90 volts that comes from the phone line AC or DC? What is the final voltage once it hits the in house lines?

I have been hit with a ring schock before. Put a nice little mark on my finger. I've also been hit with 110 AC. Not fun.

I think if they could find a way to make the 60 hz frequency in the power lines not effect signal transmission, it would help get broadband to the rest of the United States without worrying about the biggest problem; the last mile. Even if it is slow... It would still make business sense, as you could get it to many people off of one wire, and those that could only have Direcway or dial-up would jump at the chance to get 512/128 even.

:) Telephone lines are D.C. thats why when the electric goes off we still have phones because of massive array of batteries in the C.O... and it is 90 volts at the R.J.11c in your house or within specs............... copper telco lines have many problems which will never make them any more useful then they are now ....in my opinion:)

8) Microwave

this was just out..

HomePlug Updated Powerline networking product manufacturer Corinex today announced what it says is the first 802.11g HomePlug router.

The Corinex Wireless to Powerline Router G features an SPI / NAT firewall and supports PPPoE, Static Routing Protocol, UPnP, VPN tunnel pass through and upgradable antennas. The 125Mbps maximum raw data rate is provided via Broadcom's Afterburner throughput enhancement technology.

Security features include 802.11i (WPA2), 802.1x and 802.1Q Tagged VLAN capability. The router also supports WPA-PSK over Wireless Distribution System (WDS) bridged links.

The Corinex Wireless to Powerline Router G is available now. List price is $187 with expected street around $150.

this was just out..

HomePlug Updated Powerline networking product manufacturer Corinex today announced what it says is the first 802.11g HomePlug router.

The Corinex Wireless to Powerline Router G features an SPI / NAT firewall and supports PPPoE, Static Routing Protocol, UPnP, VPN tunnel pass through and upgradable antennas. The 125Mbps maximum raw data rate is provided via Broadcom's Afterburner throughput enhancement technology.

Security features include 802.11i (WPA2), 802.1x and 802.1Q Tagged VLAN capability. The router also supports WPA-PSK over Wireless Distribution System (WDS) bridged links.

The Corinex Wireless to Powerline Router G is available now. List price is $187 with expected street around $150.

In your home... yes, hell cox is going to offer that soon. but we are talking about over the main power lines in your city.

Is the 90 volts that comes from the phone line AC or DC? What is the final voltage once it hits the in house lines?

I have been hit with a ring schock before. Put a nice little mark on my finger. I've also been hit with 110 AC. Not fun.

I think if they could find a way to make the 60 Hz frequency in the power lines not effect signal transmission, it would help get broadband to the rest of the United States without worrying about the biggest problem; the last mile. Even if it is slow... It would still make business sense, as you could get it to many people off of one wire, and those that could only have DirecWay or dial-up would jump at the chance to get 512/128 even.

DC