CD and DVD drive not working

Obscene Truth

Well, for some odd reason my CD and DVD drive decided not to work the other day. My computer recognizes that its plugged in, but when I put a disc in it doesn't read it and if I double click on the drive it freezes up until I remove the disc. I checked the BIOS it said that they were enabled, I checked the Device Manager and it says they are working although they aren't. I tried switching the IDE cables with one I had. nothing different. I have tried many discs so its not them, theres somthin up with the drives. Thanks

Try going to device manager and go to VIEW and put a check next to show hidden devices, then go down to DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES and click the + sign and right click on all drives that show there and UNINSTALL.

When done restart PC and see if that fixes, if not post again here and we can try something else.

Let us know ..........Good Luck

The only other thing I can think of is shutting down PC and remove ribbon cables and power from the rom drives, then start PC go in to bios set none for those 2 channels save and exit, go into windows and remove from device manager like before , make sure you go to VIEW and check "show hidden devices" then remove all under CD/DVD Drives, then shutdown PC and hook cables and power back to Rom Drives, restart PC go to bios and set channels to AUTO, save and exit , boot to Windows and try them out.

If that doesn't work I don't know what to say, But hopefully someone else can add to this, and figure it out........Good luck , let us know.

Guest helloimtim

I assume that the cd/dvd drive is just one unit. Not 2 seperate units. I would guess that your drive is either just died or needs cleaned. You may try to run a cd cleaner through it. Its just a disk with a small brush on it. You may also try to replace the ribbon itself. I have seen thoes go bad. So try to clean it. Try to replace the ribbon and if all that fails I would look into replaceing the burner itself. Do you have another cd burner laying around you can put in there and check it out? If not consider replaceing it. They have been known just to die. Sorry to be the one to give the bad news to.......hope that helps.....peace........im out

Yep.....Try and hook one of the cd drives as a slave with hard drive and see if it works like that.

Just remember that the hard drive must be set to master and not single with it's jumper.

If it works that way then it sounds like the 2nd IDE channel is fried, if it doesn't work then it still may be something with windows.

Crazy huh ?

The only other thing I can think of is shutting down PC and remove ribbon cables and power from the rom drives, then start PC go in to bios set none for those 2 channels save and exit, go into windows and remove from device manager like before , make sure you go to VIEW and check "show hidden devices" then remove all under CD/DVD Drives, then shutdown PC and hook cables and power back to Rom Drives, restart PC go to bios and set channels to AUTO, save and exit , boot to Windows and try them out.

If that doesn't work I don't know what to say, But hopefully someone else can add to this, and figure it out........Good luck , let us know.

Did you make sure the IDE channels are enabled in BIOS?