Wireless Security Question??

goblin24

Hey guys just got my wireless g router.. its a netgearwgr614 v6.. anyways i was setting up the wireless secuirty and was wondering what was best setting???should i go wit hthe WEP or WPA-PSK??.. right now im using the wep automatic 64 bit....should i change it to 128bit??

In other words whats the best recommended security settings for me?. thxs

ok set it to wpa.. amount of time is 60 min.. what do u guys recommend???

One more thing.. my desktop, router, and modem all seem to be working fine but i cant get the internet to work in my laptop.. My laptop detects the network and says its excellent but when i try to open internet explorer it tells me the pages are unavailable.. any idea what the problem might be?? thxs a million!

Try laptop with all encryption off just for a test run to see if it will connect and surf the web.

If that works then try moving up through the different levels of security.

I have to run mine at WEP 64 bit, if I go to 128 then I get little or no internet conectivity message.

Good news.

I am not real familiar with the WPA since my laptop is also Centrino, but the 802.11b, so it doesn't support the better WPA encryption.

Does that 60 minute setting mean it will change to the next key every 60 minutes?

Someone else hopefully can answer that question for us both.

Good news.

I am not real familiar with the WPA since my laptop is also Centrino, but the 802.11b, so it doesn't support the better WPA encryption.

Does that 60 minute setting mean it will change to the next key every 60 minutes?

Someone else hopefully can answer that question for us both.

the 2100 b does support WPA.. you might need to download this patch for windows xp..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=009d8425-ce2b-47a4-abec-274845dc9e91&displaylang=en

Intel says that it does support it http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/prowireless_mobile.htm

As far as 60min.. as far as i know WPA dynamically changes the key.. so there is no set time for it to change.. are you sure you are not setting the IP release to 60 min?