Dualboot Win XP Pro + Linux

VanBuren

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Van,

I used Fedora Core 2 for a while on my ex's computer, and liked it.

I learned a lot from it, I ran it alone on that machine, though, so I can't help with the dual boot.

BTW, the Linux PC is now gone (so is the ex) and I have been thinking of doing the same thing as you want to with the latest Fedora Core 4.

Both my HD's are formatted NTFS on my current PC, so I would have to reformat #2 as FAT32 in order to run Linux.

Guest helloimtim

You could always try a live cd first to see if you like it before installing to your computer.  There are tons of diffrent ones out there and they are free. I hear allot of good things about mepis. It is supposed to be about the easiest for begginers. Just my 2 cents. Oh the live cd will let you run lynix without installing it to your harddrive. Kinda of a test drive type of thing. Try a few diffrent ones and see what works best for you. As fast as your connection is it would not take alot to download a few then burn to disk.

I have used Red Hat Linux and the only drawback was, that I had to boot into Red Hat with a floppy, fortunately there are dist. releases wherein you can boot right into Linux from the selective screen when you power-up your PC. Also The Fedora Project is the free descendant of Red Hat Linux. As most computer enthusiast know, you can have a lotta fun using Linux ( I personally use SuSE now). Here is a link to Linux you may want to take a look at: http://www.linuxiso.org/

TheHalf

Suse Linux Live CD ran with no problems on my first try.

This has a pretty nice GUI.

Not sure if I would use this version so much, I used the Fedora Core 2 a while back to run an FTP server.

The server side helped me learn the command line interface, permissions, etc.

If I am only going to browse, etc., I will stick with Windows.

But, something different to experiment with.

Hey Van, I'm running a version of linux right now its called Gentoo its a bit more advanced than other most linux distributions but I suggest if you are ready to install a linux OS on your system i would recommend that you install Fedora Core 4 it walks you through the installation and it also partitions the drive for you so it is a pretty simple distribution of linux but at the same time you get to know linux a little bit. By the way I do dual boot with Windows XP home edition the bootloader is called GRUB there is also another one which is called LILO but I think when you install FC 4 that should all be taken 

care of, Im running Gentoo linux with the Gnome Desktop manager but there are also other Desktop manager's in linux

Suse Linux Live CD ran with no problems on my first try.

This has a pretty nice GUI.

Not sure if I would use this version so much, I used the Fedora Core 2 a while back to run an FTP server.

The server side helped me learn the command line interface, permissions, etc.

If I am only going to browse, etc., I will stick with Windows.

But, something different to experiment with.

SuSe is VERY good Fedora Core is a Slow Distro because of how things are puled together in it i personally like Gentoo but SuSe is VERY good too