Command Prompt Error

Nos7667

Nos7667 The steps below are from the MS article Swimmer posted.these are what it said to do if the Windows installation cd didn't work.I bet you could try these steps even without the cd if you don't have one.

There is also a set of 5 cds for XP I have seen posted about before I think they are to use for recovery but they might have something on them that would help you.

I have also read about using a windows 98 start up disk to go into DOS it is also available for download on the web.It is usually for a floppy but I don't see why you couldn't burn it to a cd.

From what I have read XP doesn't really have DOS & really doesn't like using it.I think what it does use is a kind of virtual DOS.Someone can probably do a better job of explaining this than me.

If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type c:windowsrepair, and then click OK.

2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy. 

3. Click Start, click Run, type c:windowssystem32, and then click OK.

4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.

5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then click Properties.

6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK. 

7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.

Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be removed after you restart Windows.

command.com you might add this too since it is in the list of files to do if you have the cd.

It says insert CD. What CD is it talking about.

You can look in the i386 directory on you hard drive.  Go to My Computer, then doulbe click on the i386 directory and look for the three files the article Swimmer posted.  If they are not there and you do not have an install disk for XP from the manufacturer of your computer then you can recreate the autoexec and config files with the instructions in Swimmers article as well, starting at step 5.  Also, check the system32 directory for the command.com file to see if it exists there.  Depending on the machine you have, the i386 directory may be on a different partition (D: drive, not your cd rom) or e: drive.  The win98 boot disk will only work to access a fat32 (file system) install of winxp..........